Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Next Safari... a little different this time (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/next-safari-a-little-different-this-time-901647/)

Bill949 Aug 5th, 2011 12:30 PM

Next Safari... a little different this time

We normally only go to the Serengeti and the NCA so this time we are thinking of doing something a little different. Want to try to include Botswana (Okavango), Gombe and the of course the Serengeti. Would like to go in April.

Was think something like this:-

Day 1 US to Jo-burg
Day 2 Traval to Delta
Day 3-6 Delta
Day 7 Travel day Jo-Berg to Arusha
Day 8 Travel day Arusha to Gombe
Day 9-12 Gombe
Day 13 Travel day to Arusha
Day 14-15 Rest Arusha/NGO
Day 15-23 Serengeti

Is this feasible/doable?

I would welcome everyone’s thoughts or opinions

Thanks in advanced

Bill

Bill949 Aug 5th, 2011 12:33 PM

Opps should of tagged this... sorry please ignore

sandi Aug 5th, 2011 12:47 PM

Better check your flight schedules. From JNB, you've got to fly into JRO or DAR* - an internationl airport for Immigration - country-to-country. Arusha/ARK is the small domestic airport. From either JRO or DAR, then flight to Gombe.
*probably DAR as I don't believe there are any into JRO.

Once that's done, you can have tour operator figure out the Gombe to Arusha/ARK or JRO and road onto NGO and Serengeti.

ShayTay Aug 5th, 2011 10:45 PM

April is the rainy season... sure you want to go then? Also, the Delta floods are arriving then. If the past two years are any indication, the Delta might be too flooded to enjoy. It will actually take you two days to get to JNB, then another day to get into the Delta and yet another day to get out of the Delta and back to JNB. That doesn't leave much time there. For me, I'd concentrate on either East Africa or Southern Africa. Otherwise, you lose a lot of days transiting between them.

Gombe is a smaller park with little in the way of lodging. Have you looked at Mahale? There would probably be better connections to Arusha and even the Serengeti from there. You also want to consider the time of year when chimp trekking. In late summer, the chimps in Mahale are further down the mountain and aren't as difficult to get to. I would imagine that Gombe is the same.

atravelynn Aug 7th, 2011 09:30 AM

Since it appears you have been to Africa several times and that your pattern of travel there will continue, I'd break Botswana and Gombe into 2 trips to reduce the amount of internal travel within Africa.

If this next trip is likely your last, or your only shot at visiting these areas that you've always wanted to go, then do it.

If you can make it "a little different" for the next 2 times, I think you'll have a couple of winning itineraries.

April is not the best time for chimp tracking from what I've researched due to rains.

Good luck with your plans.

(copied from your other post with the same title)

sandi Aug 7th, 2011 12:46 PM

If April in the Serengeti, whether south or central, be aware that some of the tented camps are actually closed during the "wet." Lodges though would be open.