Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   newbie query no 2 (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/newbie-query-no-2-a-666689/)

annhig Dec 28th, 2006 03:04 PM

newbie query no 2

Thanks first of all to all who came to my aid the first time round.
i did my research in true fodorite fashion, and discovered that perhaps east africa was a better choice for july/august rather than south africa, as we could get more game viewing for our money [budget about US$16K for 4 people over 14 days] in kenya and/or tanzania.

am i right? are there any must sees ?[I'm thinking about the great migration at that time of year]
Has anyone been to zanzibar and is it worth giving up a few days in the bush?

Thanks again, y'all

Regards, Ann

aby Dec 28th, 2006 08:15 PM

Hi Ann

a ""must"" is MARA - i think it's a concensus (/consensus)...
better the latest possible in August (since Jul-Aug is your timing) - that is at the end of your atinerary

Other:

Samburu
Ngorongoro (Tz)

now, as a rep of a monority group on this forum, i must say IMO:

Nakuru (greatest Flamingo show) or Bogoria in case the flamingoes have wandered...
NVL (Night Viewing lodge) Ark / Mt. Lodge / Treetops
a freshwater lake + boating Baringo or Naivasha

Zanzibar ?
why not a gorilla trek instead ?

aby

aby Dec 28th, 2006 08:17 PM

oops... itinerary

aby Dec 28th, 2006 08:18 PM

oops again... minority
(it's the time i guess...)

cary999 Dec 28th, 2006 09:19 PM

Allow me to do the math. 14 days, 4 people, $16K works to be, ah to be, justa second, ah, a little less than $300 per day per person. This $16K to include airfare? If airfare also in $16K, then you have cut the safari budget part down to around $10K, or less than $200 per day per person.
FWIW
regards -tom

annhig Dec 29th, 2006 02:37 AM

thanks, aby - just the sort of info i need.
tom- the $16k does not include flights, giving us, as you rightly say, approx $300 per day.
i'm tending now to think about dropping zanzibar [DH for whose benefit i had considered this, mainly for the diving, says he's not bothered] - would you do more trecking instead? or stay longer in one place, and if so, Which?

Patty Dec 29th, 2006 08:08 AM

Keep in mind that gorilla trekking will not be an inexpensive add on. The roundtrip airfare from Nairobi to Uganda or Rwanda will run you approx $500 per person (unless you can get this included for less as part of your international ticket). Permits will be $500 per trek by June 2007 and that's not including accomodations, meals and local transportation. Not trying to discourage you, but you would need to cut down quite a bit on other parts of your trip in order to squeeze the trekking into your budget.

For just a safari in Kenya/Tanzania, $300 per person per night should be a comfortable budget if you're considering moderately priced lodges/camps, doing a mostly drive itinerary and have 4 people sharing one vehicle. You may be able to afford a few but not too many internal flights.

annhig Dec 29th, 2006 10:26 AM

thanks, patty - really useful info. you've confirmed what I think about the gorilla trekking - probably a bit beyond our budget.
The trick is going to be fitting everything in without breaking the bank - the south of Tanzania has been recommended as being less visited and less expensive. Is that because there are fewer animals?

sandi Dec 29th, 2006 10:30 AM

The south isn't necessarily less expensive. Room rates at minimum are about $300/nt. most are closer to $400-500+/nt, then the air to/from these parks. Can be quite costly.

Patty Dec 29th, 2006 10:43 AM

Because of the distances between parks, southern Tanzania is generally done as a flying safari so is usually more expensive, not less, though a driving itinerary combining Mikumi, Selous & Ruaha is also possible and will cut down on the cost if you're prepared for longer travel days (I would recommend staying longer at each camp in that case). I was in Selous recently and would say that the game is sparser compared to parks in northern Tanzania/southern Kenya, but keep in mind that I was also there during rainy season, the grass was high, and the vegetation was thick. July/August are supposed to be the optimum months for southern Tanzania. There are fewer camps and what camps are there are mostly fairly small in size resulting in a lower density of vehicles and other visitors too which can be a plus. It all depends on what kind of experience you're after. Do you need to tick off the big 5 or are you looking for more of a wilderness experience (I know this is a gross oversimplification but I think you know what I'm getting at)?

sandi Dec 30th, 2006 04:25 AM

By the way, the rates I mentioned above are per person, per night; not per room per night. Sorry, not to have been clear on that.

annhig Jan 2nd, 2007 11:26 AM

Hi, y'all, thanks again for your input.

As to the big 5, patty, as only the DD has been to africa before [a college trip to Swaziland, lucky girl] i suppose that we all need to tick them off, but i think we're really after a more rounded experience - seeing animals and birds, meeting people, etc. travelling slowly and staying longer in one place has always worked better for us [or rather our kids] - any ideas about where we could best do this?

Thanks again, Ann