EGYPT: How do I find a guide?

Old May 14th, 1997, 02:11 PM
Doug C.

EGYPT: How do I find a guide?

We're considering a trip to Egypt. I'm intrigued by the idea of finding an individual guide or perhaps a very small tour group (10 people tops).

Does anyone have suggestions?
Are there tour agencies that specialize in this?
How can one guage reliability of guides/agencies?

Thanks!

Old May 29th, 1997, 10:24 AM
EllenMarie Rockwell

For more info see my response to "Have you been on a Nile River cruise? " In short we had a great small tour 16 people is always the max with OAT(overseas adventure tours)I spent a year finding out what was small and good.I will use them again and again next for the Galapados.
Our guide was Mohammed Wahba he does private tours also, adress 154 El Omran St, Masaken Helmiat El Zieton, Cario Egypt 11321.
You cant beat OAT for the wonderful experience, and depth for the price. We plan to go back and do a private private tour with Mohammed when we can.

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 07:29 PM
Royce Alsop

Four adults and an 11 year old are going next March. So far we have been working with Marian at The Learned Pilgrim for a customized itinerary just for us 5. We are waiting for pricing information to come back from Cairo. We have been happy with her so far. However Ellenmarie's recommended company sounds good too. Royce

Old Jul 13th, 1997, 03:16 AM
Paula

Small tours can be booked directly from your hotel in Cairo through Misr tours (the government tourist agency.) They are relaible, multi-lingual, and inexpensive. There are always "tour guides" hanging around the sites also; you can ask at the hotels for direction to tour agencies that are reliable. I have been to Egypt 10 times and am planning on going again in October - if you would like any info on Egypt please e-mail : [email protected].

Old Aug 20th, 1997, 10:56 AM
Jeff Ross

Paula, do you think it's less expensive taking a "regular" bus from Tel Aviv to Cairo and then booking a small tour from the hotel in Cairo?? Does this make sense?