New Year's Eve '99 Cairo OR Istanbul ?

Jan 2nd, 1999, 01:32 PM
Caren

New Year's Eve '99 Cairo OR Istanbul ?

I have not made plans for New Year's Eve 1999. I would like to be out of NYC from December 26 until about January 10 and possibly until January 15. On New Year's Eve '99, I don't want to be in place where there will be hoards of people, but I would like not be in US for 1/1/00.
I am soliciting ideas suggestions for whether we should spend our vacation in Cairo (see pyramids) or Istanbul. Both appeal to me.
I would have preferred to be in the HolyLand, but I have been reading that might be a crowded place due to the Holy Year.
We like to travel on a budget, but no hostels or dorms or camping. We prefer bed and breakfasts and guest houses to the LARGE CHAINS...we use our room to sleep and don't care about the pool or resturant.
We have travelled extensively and like to travel to see the natural beauty and culture of an area rather than lie on a beach. Since time is moving on....could you send me a e-mail directly to: [email protected], but I will be checking this message board frequently too.
Thanks for your help and suggestions/comments. Caren

Jan 17th, 1999, 07:53 PM
M.E.

I would probably choose Istanbul over Cairo. Egypt has more historical and possibly more cultural things to see, but is a little harder to do on a budget. This may not be the case if you're used to really roughing it, but I think Turkey is easier to do 'pensione style' than Egypt. Turkey has more variety of natural beauty - mountains, central plains, mediterranean and turquoise coast, black sea coast, and the spectacular kapodokya (cappoocia) region. Plus, on New Years' Eve I think it'd be cool to be on the Bridge in Istanbul spanning two continents.

Jan 21st, 1999, 03:47 PM
Karen Eubel

We have not been to Cairo (although I'm sure it's spectacular), however we did go to Istanbul and had a great time. I don't know what the state of cheap digs is in Istanbul (we went on a cheap winter package) (you could try that! go to Pasha Tours, they're great). However, I've been to Morocco and if Cairo is anything like Morocco "cheap digs" are really "primitive".

Search this Thread