Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   New Years 2006/2007 Botswana? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/new-years-2006-2007-botswana-569127/)

Alejandra Nov 6th, 2005 09:55 AM

New Years 2006/2007 Botswana?

I just had dinner at my parents and I suggested a safari for new years 2006/2007 leaving on dec 26th returning jan 2nd or 3rd. so 6/7 nights in Africa. Bert and I just were in Zambia, both my dad and brother have been to Tanzania. They dont want to go to South Africa, so I thought Botswana leaves me with great opportunities but have no idea where to stay. It can be 3 different lodges or 2 different ones, they should be among the best quality ones (especially food and wine). We'll most likely be flying from Amsterdam via Nairobi to Lusaka and continue from there or KLM to Johannesburg and go from there. The quickest the best. My parents are 63 and 59 by 2006 but dad isnt that flexible as mom. Is Botswana a bad choice for that time of the year? Cos i dont see any other choice, I def want to return to Zambia but not with my parents, cos the Lower Zambezi is closed that time of the year and to stay 6 nights at Luangwa River Lodge would be great for me but not for that trip. Please help me out with a fluent schedule, from what i have seen so far i do like : MOmbo, Mombo, Jacana, Duba Plains, Kwetsani, Vumbura. But then i dont know whats preferable, the liitle mombo or normal Mombo, the little Vumbura. Should I stick to only the Okavonga Delta if its only 6 nights?or combine 3 nights there and 3 nights elsewhere? Any help is welcome. Must I start with bookings soon for that period?Thanks a lot.Alejandra

Alejandra Nov 6th, 2005 10:15 AM

I forgot to say my family means 5 people, 2 or 3 rooms.

Alejandra Nov 6th, 2005 10:58 AM

Chiefs camp looks good to, Would like to save the best camp for last.

ddgattina Nov 6th, 2005 12:58 PM

Keep in mind that this time of year will likely be VERY hot in Botswana. So make sure that your parents are happy with that ( you mentioned something about your Dad not being flexible, and that you didn't think that Zambia would be appropriate for them.) Keep in mind that even the most luxurious Botswana camps have no air conditioning, so when it is hot, there is no escape from it.

Mombo & Little Mombo are the same, except for the size of the total guests/groups that stay there. I adore Kwetsani, but Jao (in the same concession) will be more luxurious (Mombo style tents AND a spa where you can get massages, etc. ) Vumbura Plains now has 6paw tents too, but one recent guest preferred Little Vum and said something like Vumbura Plains had "no heart". Do a search to find these reviews.

Chief's Camp sounds excellent, but if your parents want the most "luxurious" experience, I think that would be Mombo/LM. It has earned its reputation, and seems to live up to it again and again.

By the way, why are you flying through Nairobi and Lusaka to get to Botswana...this is definitely the long, slow way to go!!??

Ericka Nov 6th, 2005 01:08 PM

I have to second the Jao recommendation. It is an amazingly beautiful place with much better game than people give credit for. We did all luxury lodges on our recent SA/Botswana trip and Jao was our favorite. Jao would combine very well with Mombo, and you should check out King's Pool for luxury, too.

Ddgatina makes a good point about the heat. You can check out www.weatherbase.com to get an idea of the actual temperatures and rainfall.

Alejandra Nov 6th, 2005 06:35 PM

I didnt think it'd be that hot! We were in Zambia just now in october and that was very hot, def too hot for my parents. If it'd be similar i better change plans, but what a shame...

Alejandra Nov 6th, 2005 06:52 PM

ddgattina: thanks for your post. I probably didnt write it well but yes Zambia would be appropriate for my dad, but since the Lower Zambezi area is closed that time, it will only leav eus at the South Luangwa area and i think thats a shame.
I could include all camps but wont go to Mombo cos i really think those prices are outrageous!
Whats the quickest way to get to Botswana from europe?
Although we didnt want to at first, if it'll be that hot should I now have a look at SA? But then i really wouldnt have a clou? 6 or 7 nights, not too much travelling in between.

ddgattina Nov 7th, 2005 07:29 AM

South Africa has BEAUTIFUl weather at this time of year--it is their high season. So definitely worth a look if you are willing to reconsider.
The fastest way to get to Botswana from Europe if via Joburg--Maun is an easy flight from their-- only about 1 hour/ 1.5 hours max. Joburg is a longer flight, but there are plenty of nonstops, and this is MUCH MUCH easier than hopping down from Nairobi, especially if your time is limited.

ddgattina Nov 7th, 2005 09:35 AM

Hi Alejandra,
Just thought I'd mention that if you are willing to go with a Chief's rather than Mombo, then Kwetsani & Little Vum may be excellent choices too. They are still plenty luxurious in terms of service, they just don't have the huge (I think oversized) tents with salas, etc. They still have indoor & outdoor showers, and since none of these places have air-con, it will be the same in terms of heat. And both are smaller than their more luxurious counterparts--their is a different kind of "luxury" in that smaller size, I think.

Alejandra Nov 7th, 2005 11:25 AM

Thanks ddgattina, I think I will leave that itinerary for another trip and in terms of the heat I should have a more serious look at South Africa. Flying to Johannesburg and picking 2 camps, 3 nights at each. I m now thinking of going with CCafrica as they might give me a discount staying 6 nights with them. 3 nights at Londolozi and 3 nights Phinda. In which order would be best? Maybe someone has a better idea.

napamatt Nov 8th, 2005 07:23 AM

Finish at Londolozi.