New Year's Eve in Cape Town

Jun 30th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Original Poster

New Year's Eve in Cape Town

We will be in Cape Town for New Year and wondered if anyone has any suggestions about the best places to go for seeing in the New Year. I've heard that there are fireworks in the harbour area? Do any of restaurants in this area organise special New Year's Eve dinners? Is it possible to go on a dinner cruise round the harbour? I've tried internet searches without much luck.

We will be in a group of about 8 and I'm keen to get something organised now as I know places will get booked up quickly.

Any help appreciated.
Jun 30th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Alison1,

Firstly be aware that wherever you go on New Years eve you wll be ripped off price wise. Furthermore due to the nature of the evening the quality of food served on the night is generally not to be raved about. Thats just a fair warning.

In terms of where to enjoy the evening look at http://www.restaurants.co.za/details.asp?resId=3092 for a criuise aroundbnthe harbour. Dont be perturbed by the numbers of people required for the Alabama as it will be a case of individual bookings being accepted for the night.

In terms of which restaurants to eat at on the night in the Waterfront please go to http://www.waterfront.co.za/eat/rest...f6c7e2915c7cfe where you will find a whole list of the restaurants in the area.

Be aware that you are 100% correct in wanting to book early so as to ensure a reservation HOWEVER be careful as most establishments expect full payment upfront in a non return of payment deal.

As far as fireworks are concerned they do have a display at the Waterfront but in my opinion it is not such a great shakes event.

Let me know what you decide on doing and I will help you thereafter with ideas and thoughts about your choice(s)

Enjoy our city when you visit us.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Jul 4th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Selwyn,

Thank you for the websites, I will have a look at them asap. Thanks also for the warning about prices/quality of food - I know exactly what you mean. I live in Edinburgh and now that Edinburgh hosts one of Europe's biggest New Year festivals prices have rocketed and it is such a rip off for the tourists who come here.
I am also going to have a look at your website as I've read such good reports here on Fodors about your tours.
Jul 4th, 2004, 02:38 PM

We had a lovely meal upstairs in the main dining room at Quay Four on the Waterfront. It is a big restaurant to begin with, so I'd imagine they are used to handling big holiday crowds.

Search this Thread