Search

New update Elephant Diaries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New update Elephant Diaries

Updated Elephant Diaries will be transmittied on Wednesday 25 January, 2006 at 8 p.m. on BBC One.

The series will be seen on Animal Planet in the U.S. on the 5th of March running a 90 minute program.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:50 PM

Great! Thanks, Jan.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM

I'm really excited to finally be able to see this.

But what does it mean they're running a 90 minute program? I hope Animal Planet isn't going to Animal Planet-ize this.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Reminder - Elephant Diaries will be a week from tonight on Animal Planet at 8 p.m. Don't forget to set your VCR's and DVD's.

I logged onto Animal Planet today -
http://www.animal.discovery.com/conv...ust/trust.html. Click on Elephant Diaries and they have quite a menu to select from. You can take a quiz about raising orphans, and there are a few jigsaw puzzles of elephants that are fun -- even for adults! Get your kids and grandkids involved also.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:17 PM

Thanks! Just in time before I leave.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

For those of you who want to watch the Academy Awards, this marvelous program will be shown on:

3-5-06 8 p.m.
3-5-06 11 p.m.

3-11-06 9 p.m.

3-12-06 12 a.m.
3-12-06 3 p.m.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Just finished watching this. FANTASTIC!!! What a dream job that would be, being an elephant keeper at Sheldrick!
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

matnikstym:

MARVELOUS PROGRAM. The BBC and Animal Planet did a terrific job with this program. I feel a little gyped though because I think the UK got a four hour program. Wonder what they edited out that we didn't see.

The Sheldrick Trust does so much for all wildlife in Kenya - not just the elephants. I am just so pleased that Daphne Sheldrick is being knighted and will now be Dame Daphne Sheldrick. She deserves all the accolades. At 71 years of age she is still going strong on behalf of all wildlife all over Africa. She was involved with S. Africa a number of years ago when they wanted to cull and was also involved with the Tuli elephant debacle. Can't say enough about her and the work she has done.

Glad you enjoyed the program

Jan
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:02 AM

I thought this was great. But I really, really wish it had been longer.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Leely:

I felt the same. I had an email from the Sheldricks yesterday and the BBC is now in the process of filming Elephant Diaries II. The BBC and BBC-I have signed up for it but Animal Planet hasn't.

If you enjoyed the program why not log onto Animal Planet and send an email and let them know how much you'd like to see more of this good programming.

Jan
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Good idea; I'll do that. I wish BBC would offer this series on DVD...I'd love to have it at home.

I'm glad they're doing more, because I really felt there was a lot more "story" here: more about elephant behavior, emotional life and memory, more about the Sheldricks, more about poaching, more about the keepers and how they came to find their way to the orphanage.

Greedy, aren't I?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM

My husband and I stumbled upon this nearly half-way through. It was wonderful. We kept looking for our own sponsored orphan, but we were at least able to see some of her friends.

So sad about little Jippy, though. :'(
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Ericka:

I was indeed sorry about Jipe also.

I have learned from Dr. Sheldrick that elephants cannot cough (the first sign that something might be wrong with any baby). The babies act normally and then when they see fluid starting to drip from the trunk, it is usually too late and death occurs very quickly. Many of the orphans that have died this way were rescued from a water situation such as rivers, stuck in a waterhole or cesspole. Also if they have been rescued from a waterhole where cattle have been they are almost guaranteed to get into trouble.

Though all these orphans are put on an antibiotic at first - it seems as though it only staves off the over-
whelming infections.

The keepers are all interesting men. If you go onto the Sheldrick website you can read about some of the keepers. Many are college graduates. Their work is not "just a job" for them. It is truly hard work (I've seen them at it - how would you like a 300 pound baby standing on your toes or knocking you over? The men get emotionally involved in their charges and when they lose one it hurts them so badly.

When I was in Amboseli I was allowed to be present at the first attempted rescue of Orok. I happened to ask one of the keepers how Ndolo was doing (the little blind orphan). The keeper stood there with tears running down his face and then another keeper told me that Ndolo had died (while I was in Africa - and I didn't know). I felt so very badly for him, and of course for Ndolo (another very special orphan).

Also, in the scene with Naserian being rescued from the river in Samburu it didn't explain adequately enough that the reason the other family was trying to get rid of him was the fact that no female elephant makes enough milk to feed two babies. Thus the welfare of a females own baby comes first before taking on an orphan - not related.

Perhaps you can catch the entire program on March 11th or 12th. I taped it so I can watch it over and over again.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Thank you, Jan, for the additional details.