New to Safaris

Oct 26th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

New to Safaris

A friend and I are planning on taking a safari in 2006 - just starting to gather information. I'd love to hear people's experiences with some of the major tour companies. We have looked at OAT, Thompson, African Adventure Co, Abercrombie and Kent, Roys etc. I would like to hear comments from anyone who has used one of these, or recommendations on some others to look at. Thanks
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:26 PM

I was in Botswana and Zambia last month and used Natural Habitat. They donate a portion of the trip to World Wildlife Fund. My trip was exceptional! Wilderness Safaris was the African representative.
Oct 26th, 2005, 01:27 PM
sandi

You've got a list of operators/outfitters that run the gamut from reasonably priced, group safaris or individual private safaris, in-country or US-based.

OAT only does group tours and is very reasonably priced with group size no more than 16, age group between 45-70+.

Thompson and Roys can do independent safaris at reasonable prices.

African Adventure does group or set scheduled itineraries and will be higher priced than Roys or Thompson and for independent travel you'll pay more.

Abercrombie & Kent has scheduled group safaris and like African Adventure you'll pay a supplement for an independent trip. And A&K is very expensive.

For an idea of what is available, there are many recent trip reports on this board. Scroll down and read some of these reports to get an idea of what might meet your needs.

You may want to choose an itinerary from African Adventure or Abercrombie & Kent - do a search for Kenya or Tanzania tour operators and send an email to two or three operators/outfitters for pricing and availability.

But you have to decide when you want to visit (month), your budget, how many days/weeks in-country, type of accommodations (lodges, permanent tented camps, semi-permanent [seasonal] camps, mobile camping) which countries. Hope this last paragraph especially gets you started.

Oct 26th, 2005, 02:21 PM

See my thread entitled "About to fork over $15,500 for a safari". THEN make your choice! There is also a follow up thread. Just click on my name to bring up the threads.

Search this Thread