Mar 11th, 2005, 12:49 PM
sandi

New SAA Departure Point from the USA

Received the following today:

PREMIER TRAVEL & TOURS

SELLING AFRICA for 25 YEARS

TOP PRODUCER AWARD on SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS for over 10 YEARS

SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS ANNOUNCES

NEW DIRECT SERVICE OUT OF WASHINGTON DULLES (IAD)

STARTING IN JULY, SERVICE 4 DAYS A WEEK,IN ADDITION TO DAILY FLIGHTS OUT OF ATLANTA and JFK

CALL NOW TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR LOW AIRFARES

Free Cell Phone Rental in South Africa

Call Premier Tours for SAFARI and TOUR packages

Call Carmella, Margo or David

800-545-1910, fax 215-893-0357

[email protected] www.premiertours.com

Mar 11th, 2005, 12:57 PM

THANK YOU Sandi

This is wonderful news for us Washingtonians with ties to South Africa!

Mar 11th, 2005, 01:03 PM

That's excellent -- hopefully this will open up some more frequent flyer seats.
Mar 11th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Hey Sandi,
What ever happened to SAA partnering with United. Looks like they are still affiliated with Delta??
Brenda
Mar 11th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Does anyone know when this starts? I can't find the announcement on the SAA web page.

Thanks.
Mar 11th, 2005, 01:46 PM

The buzz is July 1. The plane will stop in Ghana for fuel.

Wallybrenda, SAA is joining Star Alliance (United et al), but their full membership date keeps bouncing around - last estimate is the 4th quarter of this year. At that point they will (probably) wrap up their affiliation with Delta, although Star may give them time to allow DL mileage holders to use it or lose it. (Skyteam members will still have access to Africa on other airlines.)
Mar 11th, 2005, 02:11 PM
sandi

dswl - the notice did/does say "in July" so maybe it is July 1, or anytime thereafter.

Mar 11th, 2005, 02:21 PM

Thanks, I'm considering that flight for this summer's trip.

Referring to a previous post on country counting, if I take that flight and we refuel in Ghana, can I add Ghana to my country list?

Ha ha
Mar 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Great news! Does anyone know if it will be to Jo'burg or Cape Town?
Mar 15th, 2005, 01:00 PM

In order to get to Cape Town on SAAirways you have to go through Jo'burg. There used to be a SAA direct to Cape Town but it was discontinued in Feb. of this year. SAA Atlanta flies daily to Jo'burg. Headed that way Sunday...
atravelynn - refuels in Cape Verde
Mar 15th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Here's the SAA press release:

14 March, 2005: SAA OPENS NEW ROUTES ON AFRICAN CONTINENT AND INTERNATIONALLY

JOHANNESBURG. 14 March 2005. South African Airways (SAA) is further strengthening its position in Africa and across the Atlantic with the introduction of new exiting business and leisure routes.
This is part of the aggressive implementation of its turn around strategy focusing on more connectivity for its passengers as well as its preparations to be a full member of the global network of airlines, Star Alliance.

Beginning July the airline takes corporate and business travellers to the pulse of the world's business capital, Washington.

Leisure travellers can anticipate the natural beauty and magnificence of the Indian Ocean Island, Zanzibar and Livingstone on the shores of the Victoria Water Falls in Zambia.

The service to Washington will operate four times a week via Accra (Ghana) in West Africa.

"Our American routes have shown tremendous growth and adding a third destination to North America provides a wonderful opportunity for expanding our global route network.

"Opening a further gateway to business travellers to the Americas supports our realignment strategy of People, Patronage and Profits aimed at providing our passengers an unsurpassable product and service, and reaching a financial turnaround.

"This new route as an extension of our existing service four times a week to Accra, and secures our position in West Africa," says Khaya Ngqula, SAA President and CEO.

The product offering on SAA's eight Boeing 747-400s that will service this route features a lie-flat seat in Business and First class.

The airline’s brand new Airbus A340-600s and A340-300E, already offer Premium passengers a world class product to New York and Atlanta, SAA's existing destinations in the United States.

"Adding Washington to our strong and firmly established New York and Atlanta hubs, gives us access to 95 destinations and 450 daily flights to other America cities, served by the Star Alliance partner, United Airlines.

SA207 to Washington, via Accra, will depart from Johannesburg at 18:40 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, to arrive in Accra at 22:45. From Accra it will depart at 23:45 to arrive in Washington at 6:45 the next day.

SA208 will leave Washington on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 08:45 to arrive in Accra at 22:55. The flight to Johannesburg will leave Accra at 23:55 to arrive the next morning at 07:40.

“We anticipate that this route will grow with time to a daily service in keeping with SAA's strategy of growing all long haul routes,” says Ngqula.

SAA now flies daily to Sao Paulo, Frankfurt, Zurich, London (up to 4 dailies), New York, Atlanta, Mumbai and Paris.

Serving the leisure market, SAA will also from July take holidaymakers eager to discover the singular beauty of Zanzibar, twice a week to "the spice island", off the East coast of Tanzania.

At present Air Tanzania, in which SAA holds a 49% shareholding, flies between Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) and Zanzibar.

The direct flights from Johannesburg to Zanzibar will depart as SA186 at 10:00 to arrive in Zanzibar at 14:40 on Tuesdays and Sundays. SA187 will return from Zanzibar at 15:40 to arrive in Johannesburg at 18:40.

Livingstone, on the Zambian side of the Victoria Falls, will be served three times a week, on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturday, complementing SAA’s existing flights to the Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwean side.

SA048 will depart from Johannesburg at 13:55 to arrive in Livingstone at 15:45, and SA049 will depart from Livingstone at 16:45 to arrive in Johannesburg at 18:35. Both Zanzibar and Livingston will be served by the airline’s brand new A319s.

"Adding exquisite destinations like Livingstone and Zanzibar to our African route network, fulfills our aim to expand into Africa, our primary market.

"It gives us a deep sense of satisfaction to offer the people of this continent the opportunity to discover its beauty," says Ngqula.

Issued by South African Airways

Mar 15th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Oops.
Mar 16th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Might be of interest Air Portugal (TAP) has also just jouned Star Alliance ( United / Lufthansa / Singapore Airlines etc etc et all ) and they have flights via Lisbon to SA.
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:49 AM

Thanks, Travelwmn, for the press release. It looks like Atlanta will still be the most comfortable (i.e. shortest time-wise) and have the best schedule for those of us from the midwest.

I'm glad to see SAA expand and prosper!
Mar 29th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Here is an unbelievable deal...

PREMIER TRAVEL & TOURS
SELLING AFRICA for 25 YEARS
TOP PRODUCER AWARD on SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS for over 10 YEARS

SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS

ANNOUNCES

WASHINGTON SPECIAL

DIRECT SERVICE OUT OF
WASHINGTON DULLES

$747.00
Roundtrip plus tax and $50.00 service charge

Departures 2 July – 15 August
Minimum Stay 5 Days/Maximum 30 Days

SERVICE 4 DAYS A WEEK

NEW BOOKINGS ONLY
Tickets are NON-REFUNDABLE / NON-CHANGEABLE
Must be ticketed within 48 hours of reservation

Free Cell Phone Rental in South Africa

REMEMBER
Call Premier Tours for SAFARI and TOUR packages

Call Carmella, Margo or David
800-545-1910, fax 215-893-0357
[email protected] www.premiertours.com

-----------------------------

The savings seem to be about $600+ compared to what it would cost to fly out of JFK or Atlanta.
Mar 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Unfortunately, I have had no luck in trying to get pricing for the direct flights out of Washington Dulles to South Africa on Travelocity or Expedia. It continues to route me through Atlanta, JFK or London.

If the pricing were right, I would prefer to send my sister through Washington Dulles if it meant saving a few hundred dollars. The rest of us are squared away on our business class frequent flier tickets from London - Joburg, but I am still looking for the right deal for my sister.

So far, the best deal is for her to go LAX - Atlanta - Joburg - Lusaka (round trip) on SAA through Premier Travel.
Mar 29th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Roccco, the flights are in the air computers, but are all showing as fully sold out. So they cannot be priced.
Mar 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM
sandi

Roccco -

You beat me to it. Just got in and saw the very attractive SAA prices from Premier.

Have you tried getting your sister into IAD on United, then connecting to the SAA flight? You must have enough miles for LAX/IAD or prices should be reasonable (or maybe not... I haven't checked lately). And even in coach, the flight from LAX to the East Coast is faster then flying west... I've made it to JFK in less then 5-hrs.

Apr 1st, 2005, 02:18 PM

A couple more options for cheap flights to South Africa, as reported in my "Hunting Report" newsletter. (I am not a hunter, but I do like to know what they are up to)

-------

As of March 31 the South African Airways web site (http://ww2.flysaa.com) did not have any information posted about the special rates, but both Debra Gracy of Gracy Travel International, Inc. (800-299-8558) and Don Foltz of International Journeys (800-203-0951) told us the special promotional rate is running $747, plus $125.25 in taxes for a total of $872.25. That's a very attractive fare, right? Now, you see why we felt compelled to issue this bulletin.

----------

Search this Thread