Search

Cruise ship going to Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise ship going to Egypt

I just saw that Celebrity cruises goes to Egypt. I think that a cruise ship would be my best and safest way to see egypt as the pyramids and shinx is all i really want to see and a full day there would sufice. Does anyone have any experience going to egypt on a cruise ship?
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM

It's my understanding that the cruise ship port is nowhere near Cairo.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 02:20 PM

Cruise ships dock at Alexandria. From there you arrange with cruise line for the day trip to Cairo and visit to Giza where you'll find the Pyramids and Sphinx.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 11:36 PM

The ships dock in Alexandria or Port Said, far around 2.3 hours
so you have enough time to visit Pyramids and Sakkara or Egyptian Museum
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM

I'm sure Travelline did NOT mean the ship is only in port for 2 to 3 hours. Maybe s/he meant 23 hours?
In any case, YES some ships do come to Egypt. Like Travelline did make clear - they will dock in either Alexandria or Port Said. Sometimes both. IF at all possible, pick a ship that comes to Alexandria rather than Port Said. Port Said is a MUCH more difficult port to work with for tour companies. And your time to see the sites you want to visit will be a bit less because for the drive to Cairo they make everyone wait and go in convoy. That means from the start you are traveling at the speed of the slowest passenger on the whole ship. Going back to the ship is not as regulated, but obviously you have a time you MUST be back to the ship by.
From either port it will take 3 hours to drive to Cairo...and obviously, 3 hours back to the ship.... so start out by subtracting 6 hours minimum from the time you have in port. Depending on which day of the week and which port you are talking about, the amount of time to see the museum and the pyramids will vary. IF you are super nervous, take the ship tour. It will cost a fortune, you will be with 500 of your new best friends probably, but you will see the pyramids and museum....Mission accomplished.
If you are more adventurous and want to see/do a bit more, try to find a ship that spends the night, such as the NCL Jade. You can come to Cairo the first day, spend the night, and go back on Day 2 - so much to see and do if you have the time. It can be a great little stop.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

"Your new best friends probably, but you will see the pyramids and museum....Mission accomplished." CC, that is EXACTLY what i am looking for! I was thinking about going with the Celebrity Silhouette, as they have a holy land cruise that goes 3 times in the fall i think. I went with celebrity in March for central and south America and can’t say enough good things about that cruise company!!!!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM

DARK MAGIC - Have a great time doing it anyway you like. Everyone should choose their best route.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM
P_M

My first time in Egypt was on a stop on a cruise and it was the most exciting day trip of the cruise. Like you, I only wanted to see the Pyramids and the Sphinx. But once I got there a funny thing happened. It was such a thrill to see those sites, it only made me want to see the rest of Egypt. A few years later I was fortunate enough to return and it was fantastic.

But to each his/her own, I'm sure it will be a lovely cruise and an exciting day in Egypt.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

P_M,
Its funny you should say that becuase i kind of thought that once i see a little of Egypt i might want to see a lot. But i think the way things are now, a day trip will suffice for now!