New Photo Album - Rocco's Best Of Africa...

Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

New Photo Album - Rocco's Best Of Africa...

You can only do so many thousand possible itineraries before you burn out! Besides, I have been committed to the same itinerary now for a full three days!

I think I have really learned how to use Ofoto well now, and I have edited a few of my favorite pictures (cropping, flipping, etc.) and set them to Sepia tone to give them a nice flavor.

These are an assortment of pictures from my last three years in Southern Africa (Zambia, South Africa and Zimbabwe).

Enjoy!

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...1&sort_order=0
Sep 3rd, 2004, 05:04 AM

Great photos, the sepia tone is very interesting.

Any chance that you'll be able to add some captions indicating park where each photo was taken.

For example, your first photo of the cheetah family is excellent and I know you haven't been to East Africa, which is the only place I have really seen cheetahs up close (I also saw one in Etosha, but it was at least 100 feet away). Was the cheetah in Sabi Sands?

Thanks
Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thit Cho,

I will add captions tonight. To answer your question that Cheetah shot was taken at Singita. If you are able to visit my first Ofoto album (there are now three), that same photo is in there but in color.

I have added two more Cheetah shots, one of which is proabably a better quality photo but while her cubs had wandered off the screen.

In retrospect, I cannot believe how much I saw while at Singita, and because of that, I am trying to find a way to visit the nearby Londolozi Tree Camp at a somewhat reasonable rate for my hopeful early April visit.
Sep 4th, 2004, 05:30 AM

Just beautiful Roccco! I love the way you have touched them up!
Sep 4th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Thanks for adding the captions. My safari streak, which I thought would end this year, will continue with trip to Sabi Sands, Madagascar and Mauritius in December.

I'm doing some research on lodges in Sabi Sands and am considering a new lodge, Dulini, which looks great, and am also considering Londolozi.

Rocco, please check out Dulini and tell me what you think. You have much better researching skills than I do and I haven't been able to find any reviews of Dulini.

Thanks
Sep 4th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Thit Cho,

I just ran across Dulini for the first time a couple days ago, and it does appear to be a great looking lodge. The only thing that concerns me is that the lodge, despite having traversing rights to an area that includes the Sand River, the actual placement of the lodge seems a bit away from the river.

Have a look at this map that shows the precise location of Dulini in relation to the river:

www.djuma.com/map_3.htm

The presence of a river is a personal preference of mine that may or may not be shared by others.

The lodges that are interesting me most for my Kruger NP/Sabi Sand stay (as an add-on to Simbambili) are:

1. Royal Malewane. No river but an amazing looking lodge. This place is a proven winner. They were gracious enough to offer me a free night at either Birkenhead House or La Residence if I purchase three nights at Royal Malewane and two nights at La Residence. Even so, it is a $6,000 USD package, but if I push off the trip until August for whale watching season, it may be completely worth it. Birkenhead House, in Hermanus, looks amazing. www.birkenheadhouse.com
I am only sharing this information because I have actually seen better deals available for La Residence and Birkenhead House at Andrew Harper Travel, also the only other option to Luxury Link but with only a fraction of auctions available. www.andrewharpertravel.com

2. Exeter River (I have seen more aesthetic lodges but the price is great considering it is right on the Sand River and is more closely located to Singita Boulders & Ebony than any other lodge, at least according to the map I linked from Djuma). Each lodge also features a private plunge pool, which may be a big consideration in December. Still, for a more intimate camp, you may want Royal Malewane or Exeter Dulini for the extra $540 USD per night.

3. Exeter Dulini. The price of 5,200 ZAR pppns is really not bad, all things considered. Really, the location is still better than Royal Malewane, but it does look a little crowded (see map) in the area.

4. Londolozi Tree Camp. This camp seemingly has the perfect location and an excellent reputation but a very painful pricetag. The only reason I am considering it at all is because I am considering a combo with Phinda Forest/Phinda Rock which would give me a nice discount at Londolozi.

I do think it will be next to impossible to find any real deals in December, and getting your desired places may be a challenge if you wait too long. Better off to make a decision in the next couple weeks.

Sep 4th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Thit Cho,

Also, I don't know if this suggestion will fit the mold for the luxuriousness you may be seeking, but there are excellent packages combining South Luangwa with Victoria Falls between November 15th - March 31st.

You may make the package as few as seven nights, and I would suggest the following combo:

Nkwali, Robin Pope Safaris (3)
Tafika, Nsefu Sector and offering microlighting if you or your fiance are adventurous souls. (2)
Tongabezi, Victoria Falls (2)

Once you get yourself to Lusaka, (either a free add-on from Joburg if you are using SAA frequent flier miles or about a $350 pp flight in economy class) it is only $1750 pp sharing for this excellent package and it includes your air to South Luangwa, to Livingstone and then back to Lusaka. The air alone is worth about half the price of the package.

Here are the complete details:

EMERALD SEASON

The bush is a vivid and vibrant emerald green

The air is crystal clear - excellent for photography

The migrant birds arrive and breed, the young emerging in March

A time of rebirth - the impala perform a spectacular drop in early November, and most mammals have a birthing peak during the following few months.

Colour dots the landscape as the flowers burst forth

The afternoon storms, mostly isolated, are vast towering clouds with the evening light bouncing

Sunsets could not be more spectacular

The electrical storms can light up the landscape at night

The mighty Luangwa and Zambezi Rivers fill and flow at their peak

The Victoria Falls thunders !!

So join us on a safari in the Emerald Season....Zambia's Secret Gem..

Valid 15 November 2004 - 31 March 2005 (except for Christmas period of 21 Dec - 05 Jan)

South Luangwa and Livingstone - 7 to 10 night safari

In South Luangwa we offer

Mfuwe Lodge (Mfuwe Trails)

Kapani (Norman Carr Safaris)

Nkwali (Robin Pope Safaris - Nov/Dec only)

Tafika (Remote Africa Safaris - from 10 Feb / 31 March)

Kafunta River Lodge and in Livingstone choose from

Islands of Siankaba

Tongabezi Stanley

Safari Lodge
All internal flights provided by Airwaves Airlink

Lusaka ex BA to Livingstone

Start Thursday
10 nights
USD 2319
Start Saturday
8 nights
USD 1944 Lusaka ex SAA to Livingstone

Start Friday
9 nights
USD 2131
Start Sunday
7 nights
USD 1756

Rates are per person, no single supplement, no minimum number.
Included - All flights with Airwaves Airlink (Lusaka / Mfuwe / Livingstone), Full board and accommodation
South Luangwa Lodges - gameviewing, National Park fees
Livingstone Lodges - boating from the lodge
Extras - Bar, airport taxes.
South Luangwa - Tafika applies a surcharge of USD 50 per person for boat transfers and microlighting extra
Livingstone - Road transfers, road activities (ie excursions away from the camp)
Extension - to fly out of Lusaka on the direct BA flight on Tuesday
Livingstone flight to Lusaka, 2 nights at Chaminuka USD 413
For more information, please contact us

Net rate information for Agents
Note: commission for the package is 20% on total cost
South Luangwa and Livingstone- 7 to 10 night safari

Lusaka ex BA to Livingstone
Start Thursday
10 nights
USD 2319 (USD 1855 net)
Start Saturday
8 nights
USD 1944 (USD 1555 net)
Lusaka ex SAA to Livingstone
Start Friday
9 nights
USD 2131 (USD 1705 net)
Start Sunday
7 nights
USD 1756 (USD 1405 net)
Extension - to fly out of Lusaka on the direct BA flight on Tuesday
Livingstone flight to Lusaka , 2 nights at Chaminuka USD 413 (USD 330 net)

So join us on a safari.in the Emerald Season.Zambia's Secret Gem..
Sep 4th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Here are some pretty good rates for Londolozi:

http://www.rcjm.co.za/londolozi-specials-frm.htm

Search this Thread