New Panasonic Ultra Zoom digicam: Fz7

Jan 26th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

New Panasonic Ultra Zoom digicam: Fz7

Earlier this week Panasonic announced the successor to the Fz5. I've been an advocate for the more compact ultra-zooms over the full size Fz20 and Fz30, and I was hoping that February would bring a new small camera that incorporated some of the advances of the Fz30. A look at the specs suggests that is largely the case:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...nasonicfz7.asp

The cam is up to 6 megapixel, which isn't a big deal, but it incorporates the extended zoom of the Fz30 to offer a 3 megapixel, 16.5x (594mm) mode. It has the same 640x480 movie capability of the Fz30, plus a new widescreen 848x480. Another change is the addition of manual focus through a joy-stick. Unfortunately, they didn't upgrade the EVF resolution, so manual focus will probably be tougher than it could be.

There's also some high sensitivity mode, which is supposed to allow better pictures of fast moving subjects or ISO 800 or 1600 with the trade-off of a to-be-announced decrease in resolution. It sounds like a gimmick to me but we'll have to wait for the reviews. The camera is slated to ship in March at an MSRP of $399, so if you were planning a purchase I would wait to see what people think of the camera.

-Matt
Jan 26th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Wow. This sounds like almost the ideal safari camera for someone who doesn't want a DSLR. Seems like they've improved the few things I didn't like about my Fz20. Can't wait to try out.
Feb 1st, 2006, 06:17 AM

Looks very interesting. I figured there must be a new model coming out when the price of the fz5 started to drop at Christmas time. I was going to buy an fz5 (I have an fz3) but now I'll wait for reviews on the fz7. They've squeezed an extra megapixel on the same size CCD chip so don't be surprised if the Panasonic digital noise curse persists on this camera. Hope I'm wrong.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM

I would like to order and Fz7.
The list is $399 but dpreview has a link to a site called provantage.com that has it for $339....is this deal to good to be true? Anyone familiar with this website?
Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:13 PM

That is weird. They've got the FZ7 priced $10 cheaper than the FZ5!
Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:16 PM

Meant to mention that they also say the camera is "not returnable." That would certainly be a red flag for me, something to definitely check out.
Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:24 AM

Here's an FZ7 for $306:

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/search.asp

Again, the FZ7 is priced lower than the FZ5 ($343). Strange!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

The bottom line is that the camera isn't available yet, and most reputable retailers have it listed as "coming soon." Provantage had surprisingly good reviews on pricegrabber, Page camera was definitely mediocre. I think the best case is that they will wait list you. The more likely scenario, I'm afraid, is that you'll click buy, they'll call you to say it's not in stock yet, and then they'll start high-pressure sales pitch to buy overpriced memory, battery, warranty, etc, etc. That is one way some of these places get away with undercutting on price.

Jeff at dcresource is currently writing an fz7 review that should be posted in a week or two. He already has a galllery up of photos he's taken with the camera. I wouldn't buy any camera from any vendor without some feedback from an objective reviewer.

-Matt
Mar 17th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

I should have looked before I leapt/posted, as the Fz7 review was probably already up at dpreview when I made my last reply. At this time, the camera is reviewed at dpreview, dcresource, and steves-digicams. The camera is available at numerous vendors for around $350.

The consensus from the reviews seems to be that the high-sensitivity modes are indeed useless and that noise is not improved over the Fz5. It may or may not be worse but my guess is that it is a wash with the extra megapixel.

Thus the Fz7 seems to be an Fz5 plus an enhanced movie mode, manual focus, and extended optical zoom (4mp picture at 14.7x/529mm, 3mp picture at 16.5x/594mm). The movie mode mitigates what was the major advantage of the Canon ultra-zooms, although the Canon still has better sound and the ability to zoom while shooting. I will probably invest in the not to distant future (timed when my significant other will be least irritated by another tech purchase).
Sep 6th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Matt, did you end up getting the FZ7 and and taking it on your recent safari? If so, how did it work out for you and the gorillas? Any tips on use or settings for both stills and movies? I got one to take to Kenya and Uganda end of Oct.