New museum!

Aug 20th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

New museum!

Back in 2003 I visited Egypt with a tour group. Hearing about the Grand Egyptian Museum which is supposed to open next year makes me want to go back! Anyone else feel that way?
Aug 20th, 2019, 06:21 PM

I drove past the unfinished new Egyptian Museum about a year & a half ago on my way back into town. They were already beginning to move pieces over from the Tahrir Square location. But I was most interested in seeing the original historic building that visit, a real monument to Egyptology in British colonial times.

If I go back it'll certainly be interesting to see the change. But I have to admit if I had to choose between the old & new, despite what I know will be much improved displays & facilities, I'd choose the old building. I think I was born in the wrong century.
Aug 20th, 2019, 10:36 PM

"But I have to admit if I had to choose between the old & new, despite what I know will be much improved displays & facilities, I'd choose the old building. I think I was born in the wrong century."

You're not the only one.
Oct 9th, 2019, 06:33 AM

Yes. The largest archaeological museum in the world!.
I am eagerly looking forward visiting it one day!
Waiting 2020.
Oct 9th, 2019, 07:15 PM
kja

Does anyone know the current date for the opening, and whether / how much of the collection will be unavailable during the transition? I'm contemplating a trip to Egypt, and would hate to be unable to see core parts of this amazing collection, whether in the old or new setting!

Thanks!
Oct 10th, 2019, 05:14 AM

I came back from my trip last month, I asked my tour operator about the possibility to visit the new Egyptian museum, but unfortunately, the museum will not open yet until 2020.
Oct 10th, 2019, 09:38 AM

"I'd choose the old building. I think I was born in the wrong century"

You're not alone.
Oct 10th, 2019, 07:42 PM
kja

Originally Posted by BDKR View Post
"I'd choose the old building. I think I was born in the wrong century"

You're not alone.
You might take a look at post # 3.
Oct 12th, 2019, 02:19 AM

The Ministry of the Egyptian Antiquities announced that it is working to choose the best company, which its task will be organizing the opening ceremony of the Grand Egyptian Museum in the last quarter of 2020.

More Info: Forty-eight thousand artifacts were transferred to the Grand Egyptian Museum, of which 44,000 were restored.

The entrance fee: The general supervisor of the Grand Egyptian Museum project, about the prices of admission tickets to the Grand Museum, explaining that the entrance ticket for Tutankhamun hall is up to 400 pounds ($ 24) for foreign tourists, 200 pounds ($ 12) to visit the main halls and 500 pounds ($ 30) combined ticket price to visit all halls.
Oct 12th, 2019, 02:59 AM

The entrance fee is very expensive. Not to mention the time, expense and hassle of getting out to the museum from downtown Cairo, while you could just walk to the Egyptian Museum if you stayed near Tahrir square.

I know I would have preferred the museum to stay in the old building for the old entrance fee of about 7 USD and the Egyptian government could have spent the money on the needs of Egyptian people(hospitals, schools, sewage treatment, etc.)
Oct 12th, 2019, 03:02 AM

"You might take a look at post # 3."

LOL, I missed that. At least it shows that I'm consistent.