Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   New Movie About Tanzania??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/new-movie-about-tanzania-590052/)

Roccco Feb 10th, 2006 07:10 PM

New Movie About Tanzania???

I was listening to NPR radio earlier today and there was a mention of some new movie coming out that takes place in Tanzania...for the life of me, I cannot remember what it was called.

Has anybody else heard about this movie. I believe it is wildlife related and may be how the population explosion has spelled doom for the wildlife, but not sure.

Somebody??? Anybody??? I sure would love to find this movie in a theater before I leave in 12.5 days.

Thanks.

Roccco Feb 10th, 2006 07:11 PM

(HUMAN population explosion, of course)
(sounds cruel, but I cannot think of the poor wildlife when I see all these attempts to save the humans)

santharamhari Feb 10th, 2006 08:16 PM

Thanks, Rocco......pl keep us posted if u know more abt this movie...

Nyamera Feb 11th, 2006 05:01 AM

Rocco,

Could you be looking for Darwin’s nightmare?

http://www.darwinsnightmare.com/

The wildlife is the Nile perch in Lake Victoria and it’s not exactly a feel-good film, but I thoroughly recommend it.

Roccco Feb 11th, 2006 05:41 AM

Nyamera.

Yes! Thank you.

Wow, this sounds like an amazing (and tragic) film. Who would have thought that the introduction of a fish to Lake Victoria would have such consequences?

One quote from the website:

"In the Eastern Congo alone, the casualties of war on each single day
equal the number of deaths of September 11th in New York."

I would advise everyone to visit this website. As it says, the violence in Africa is often minimized by the idea who has coined the term "tribal conflict", when in fact these conflicts are fueled by imperialistic powers.

This truly looks like an incredible film. It seems that it has been out for some time now...has anybody here actually seen it?

Pretty sad commentary that Tom Cruise is able to command $20 million per film while films like this go unwatched.

johan_belgium Feb 11th, 2006 06:02 AM

Last April I met a South-African guy, who worked for the U.N., at Chief's camp. He was doing a first aid course for the guides at the camps of Sanctuary lodges.

He had worked for several months at Darfur, Sudan and made a videoclip of it. One day he showed it to me ... and I knew of course that there was a huge conflict on hand but it was just beyond imagination what I saw ...

Every conflict/disaster is terrible but some of them are overexposed in the media and other ones (like so many in Africa) are hardly shown to the rest of the world.

Johan

Roccco Feb 11th, 2006 06:19 AM

>>>As it says, the violence in Africa is often minimized by the idea who has coined the term "tribal conflict",<<<

IDEA should read MEDIA

Roccco Feb 11th, 2006 06:28 AM

(Film Review)

http://worldfilm.about.com/od/docume...snightmare.htm

divewop Feb 11th, 2006 06:30 AM

Another 'must see' documentary! Thanks for the heads up Rocco.

I just added it to my Neflix "Save" queue as there is no release date for the DVD yet but they do have a synopsis of it in their system.

And unfortunately, a couple of days ago, the upcoming portion of my trip to the DRC had to be postponed TFN because the civil unrest has flared up considerably.

Unless it calms down before my trip to Rwanda is over, I'll have to postpone going to the DRC indefinitely.

Roccco Feb 11th, 2006 06:36 AM

Pretty sad...I just did a search on EBay, and there was not one copy of Darwin's Nightmare.

On the other hand, War Of The Worlds with Tom Cruise, a REALLY bad movie, had over 400 copies.

It seems like Darwin's Award would be out on DVD by now, as its release date was in 2004, I believe.

thit_cho Feb 11th, 2006 06:56 AM

Rocco, it hasn't been released on DVD yet. I also just added it to my Netflix queue. My next movie is Marjoe, the 3-year old preacher who actually fooled people he was channeling god. Should be very funny.

Nyamera Feb 11th, 2006 09:22 AM

I actually saw Darwin’s Nightmare at a cinema in November and I would like to get hold of the DVD.

Leely Feb 11th, 2006 10:30 AM

I saw a trailer for it when I was at the movies, but I don't remember ever seeing it listed as screening here. I must have missed it.

Looks like another feel-good doc about an African country. ;)

Saw a short doc recently about a Liberian immigrant called "Roosevelt's America." Roosevelt's (great?) grandfather had been a liberated slave who had been part of the immigration "experiment" to Liberia. A few generations later, his descendent immigrated back here. Surprisingly, it was less bleak than I'd thought it would be.

Leely Feb 11th, 2006 01:12 PM

Nyamera,
I've got a great idea for you: why don't you make a documentary about a young Scandinavian woman who goes to Kenya in search of the great giant forest hog, armed only with an umbrella, a mirror and an impressive command of Swahili?

I'd pay to see that.

Nyamera Feb 11th, 2006 01:47 PM

Leely,
Thank you. That’s the best idea anyone has ever given me! Now I just have to find such a woman and a camera. Maybe I could ask an organisation for people with permanent Lariam damage if they have a member that fits the description.

Roccco Feb 11th, 2006 07:47 PM

I found a place where this movie is currently playing. If anyone is in the Los Angeles area, it is showing at the Beverly Hills Laemmle theater.

How is that for a contrast...a movie showing the worst the world has to offer and you can only see it (in Los Angeles) in a place with the best the world has to offer (Beverly Hills).

There is a great article in the current L.A. Weekly, and it is so odd that I even had the opportunity to pick up a copy of the L.A. Weekly. Perhaps it was fate that I came across this, first on NPR radio and then in the L.A. Weekly. A somber reminder that there is more to Africa than luxury game lodges and wildlife. It is truly unfortunate that it is the economic powerhouses of the world that exploit Africa rather than do something to help Africa.

katt58 Feb 12th, 2006 11:47 AM

Darwin's Nightmare might be a bit more available in the hinterlands (where I live) because it was nominated for an Oscar this year. Granted it is a documentary and in competition with March of the Penquins, but a mention on March 5 might help.

Roccco Feb 12th, 2006 02:10 PM

I am off to see this film. I will report back on it later.

Roccco Feb 12th, 2006 10:33 PM

Maybe I was just tired, but I was expecting more out of this movie.

I believe that it is a case of the haves vs. the have nots, and this takes place everywhere. Whether it is Tanzanians who work around chemicals that cause them harm or West Virginia coal miners who perish in jobsite accidents, it is all bad.

Instead of Tanzanian kids sniffing glue, maybe it is poor Americans hooked on crystal meth?

It wasn't foreign interests running the fish factory featured in the film. Instead it was a lifelong Tanzanian, regardless of the fact that he was of Indian descent.

I just did not see some big conspiracy, as I expected by reading the film reviews. Supply and demand. If some warlord is willing to pay for weapons, someone is going to ship them. I really didn't see a direct tie between the Nile Perch and the weapons, other than the transport companies wanted to save money by bringing weapons and other shipments down on the same cargo planes that would later return with fish.