New lodge opening at Jaci's....

Feb 21st, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

New lodge opening at Jaci's....

Jaci's Safari Lodge has just opened a brand new lodge...Jaci's Tree Lodge. It looks pretty nice and is located nearby Jaci's Safari Lodge.

For whatever it is worth, Jaci's Safari Lodge was voted one of the best 101 lodgings in the world by Tattler magazine.

I haven't seen rates yet for the new lodge but I have seen rates of under $400 USD per night ($200 per person per night sharing) for Jaci's Safari Lodge.

Another attractive feature is that it is located in a malaria free zone. I did not really like being stuck with all those different needles last year and rarely remembered to take my anti-malaria tablets while at Singita and Matetsi last year.

For the curious, Jaci's is in the North West Province (of SA) right on the Bostwana border and close to the Garbone airport. A flight from Cape Town - Garbone - Johannesburg is approximately $290 per person on South African Air.

The link to Jaci's Tree Lodge and Jaci's Safari Camp is as follows:

www.madikwe.com
Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:59 AM

I think it is actually better to go from Joburg. The border crossing from Botswana can take hours, according to Jaci, depending on the border guards moods. I saw the tree lodge under construction last time I was there and it looked great.
Feb 22nd, 2003, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Kim,

I think you are right. I got an email from Jaci's saying the best way to come was either a flight from Joburg's Grand Central Airport, a road transfer from Joburg or a road transfer from Sun City.
The transfers seem very expensive. A road transfer for example is about $300 each way from Joburg for a 3.5 hour drive. The flights are even more expensive.

Just curious on how you did your transfer. Is there a cheaper way to go. It may be worth it to rent a car but will a car make it to the lodge???
I am a little hesitant to drive in South Africa, especially Johannesburg.

It seems like there has to be an airport closer other than Naborone.

As far as the rates go, unless I get a last minute special, then I am now looking at about 2,140 ZAR per person per night for the winter special, which converts to $265 per person per night sharing.

If those are the best rates that I can get, then I will definitely take a hard look at Vuyatela in the Sabi Sand Reserve as an alternative. It is just a short transfer from Hoedspruit.

So far, my first choice is Jaci's but I have to solve the puzzle on how to get there in an efficient manner and not requiring 3.5 hour road transfers. My wife and I are still recovering from the trauma of multiple hour road transfers in Chile, just two months ago.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Feb 23rd, 2003, 09:19 AM

Whew!! The rates have gone up since I was there in august. Many people rent cars. It is a very easy drive with no need for 4 wheel drive. I met a group of American women there who drove themselves and loved it. I think you can also get someone independent to drive you up. Check out a nice hotel like the Michaelangelo and ask for recommendation. There are lots of "private" drivers with nice vehicles lurking at the Joberg airport and around the nice hotels. As I remember the Balalaika hotel found us our nice Bulgarian driver.

I have also been at Djuma twice. Didn't stay at the nice new camp but at the nice old one which is half the price. food and accomadations good and the same basic rangers and animals. You will see every animal there also that you need to see, except for wild dogs.
(I am a wild dog nut so love Jaci's) Leopard are there, cheetah, lots of lions. Nice village tour and dam outside the dining area where elephants come. Rhino usually there but not a sure thing. We stayed 4 nights and hated to leave. The ranger we used twice is gone now so no recommendations.

Please feel free to email me. I actually plan to move to South Africa soon!

[email protected]

Search this Thread