Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Kimwhits (or others)...Do you of any other good game reserves near Jaci's Safari Camp???

Kimwhits (or others)...Do you of any other good game reserves near Jaci's Safari Camp???

Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am seriously considering Jaci's Safari Camp but I only want to stay three nights and would like a second game reserve for three other nights.<BR>I am very familiar with the layout of the Sabi Sand Reserve and have maps of the game reserves but I am not at tall familiar with the area around JSC.<BR>Also, did you see plenty of game at JSC??? My best pictures from my last trip are from the numerous Giraffes at Matetsi and the numerous Rhinos at Singita. However, neither at Singita nor Matetsi did I have any luck with lions, except at night, and the pictures were not good. If you could list the game that you saw at JSC I would really appreciate it.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 12:23 AM

In the same game reserve (Madikwe Game Reserve) you will find Madikwe River Lodge and Tau Game Lodge. <BR><BR>If you drive towards Sun City about 3 hours, you will find the Pilanesberg Game Reserve where you can look at Tshukudu Bush Lodge - Malaria Free.<BR><BR>If you drive a bit more, you get to the other Malaria Free area in at the Waterberg. Here you can look at Makweti Safari Lodge or Sediba Private Game Lodge.<BR>www.lbcl.co.uk
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Hi: Personally, I loved staying at one place for 4 days, could have spent a week. the reserve is huge and you don't have to go to the same area twice, and also there is a village tour to take. I am a serious photographer and got great pictures of everything except leopard. Afraid you have to go to Sabie Sands area for that. (loved Djuma, cheaper than the others and just as good) On my last trip we spent 4 nights at 3 different lodges and had rest days in Joburg in between. worked out great. You might ask the people at Jaci's what other reserve they would recommend. I would not go to another lodge in the reserve but rather a different ecosystem. The people at Jaci's could arrange a small charter flight probably to Skukuza or Hoedspruit if you would rather not waste any time. I never worry about malaria, sometimes I take my malarone and sometimes not if I see no mosquitoes. but malarone is so side effect free it really is no a concern.<BR><BR>[email protected]
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Kimwhits,<BR>If you don't mind my asking, which website did you use to book your time at Jaci's Safari Camp. <BR><BR>I am looking at a 1,490 ZAR rate per person sharing per night on www.mtbeds.co.za. Does this look like a good rate??? Also, what airport did you fly into and how long was the transfer.<BR><BR>Lastly, did the rangers at JSC follow the game offroad and did you see any lions???<BR><BR>THANKS!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 12:06 PM

We did the transfer two different ways. One time we landed in Joberg airport and then were driven to the lodge. I think it was about 4 hours with one coffee stop. The other time we flew from a small airport Midrand, to the lodge airstrip. The airport was about 45 minutes from Sandton and the strip is about 10 minutes from the lodge. I actually think I preferred the drive as it was fun seeing the countryside and small towns. Several pelple had rented cars to drive themselves and then were going on to another lodge.<BR><BR>In terms of booking, I booked directly to the lodge. Before you book with the discount guys, I would email Jaci and see what her rate would be and also mention the discount site. She will probably match it. I think I paid about $130 pppn last time of season.<BR><BR>Yes we saw lions every day. They have lots.<BR><BR>Kim<BR>Kim
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 12:08 PM

And yes we went off road. The only rules they have are when the dogs are denning to limit time with them to about half an hour, which was certainly enough. The reserve is really privately owned so they can do what they like within reason. I found some of the rangers are a bit shy when it comes to getting close. I loved Ranger Zede.