Search

Flying in SA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying in SA

We will be in SA in Julyfrom the US. Plan to fly from Joberg to Cape Town for 4 days. Then maybe fly to Durban and drive up to Zululand and on to Kruger. After 4 days drive ba back to Joberg. Is this too much driving? Also are there any package deals for in country flying? Any good priced car rental companies? Is there any problem with taking a rental car through Zwaziland on our way to Kruger? Thanks for your help. Barbara
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM

Try Flight Center. Following is the specials for Jan.

http://www.flightcentre.co.za/flights/
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:23 PM

I believe you get the best fares for internal flights in South Africa if they are booked with your international fare all on one ticket. The flights within South Africa are significantly cheaper on an international ticket rather than booking them once you get there. I always book with Premier Travel Services because I can't find a cheaper fares anywhere else. Not sure if it is proper for me to include their phone here or not, but here goes: 1-800-545-1910. Margo always books my tickets. If I'm not supposed to do this, I apologize. I'm not connected with them in any way.

If, however, you want some flexibility in scheduling flights once you arrive in SA, there is kulula.com, Nationwide, and I believe 1Time that are supposed to be cheaper than SAA, but I have had no personal experience with them.

My choice for cheapest car rental is AutoEurope. It is prepaid from the US and they use Avis, Hertz, etc., but they offer lower rates than booking directly with these companies. Their website is www.autoeurope.com. They are also pleasant to deal with over the phone.

I have taken a rental car through the same route as you are considering. There was no problem going through Swaziland. If you like to drive, I think you would find it enjoyable, but you might want to consider flying from Nelspruit (Kruger Park area) back to Joburg as that drive is mostly on freeways and not particularly scenic for most of the way.

Leann
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM
sandi

Leann -

I also use Premier and highly recommend them, and have said so on Fodors, for flight tickets from the US to SA (and around the neighborhood). I usually give the website, but recommend people interested call their 800# for current prices.

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I've just booked a couple of internal flights with Kulula for our trip coming up in February. I'll let you all know how they are.

We've flown SAA from Jo'burg (or maybe Cape Town, I can't remember right this minute) to Windhoek, and found it just lovely.

We've driven the route you're thinking of many times over the last 20 years or so -- no problems going through Swaziland.

I don't think that's too much driving, but as Leann says, the Kruger to Jo'burg part is not tremendously scenic. But it's only 3 or 4 hours.

Driving is just a fabulous way to see South Africa. The roads are good, and you see real life all around you.