Nervous Traveler to Morocco

Jul 25th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Nervous Traveler to Morocco

My husband and I are leaving for Morocco next month. We will be on a 9-day tour with
Insight Vacation Tours. We will be visiting the cities of Casablanca, Fes, Arafoud and Marreskesh. I am looking forward to visiting this part of the world, but I am also a little nervous about traveling to the Middle East. Any advice that can be provided to set my nerves at ease with be appreciated: i.e. food, water, appropriate attire and safety in general.

Thank you.
Jul 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM

Firstly, you aren't going to the Middle East. It's North Africa and nowhere near trouble spots or politically sensitive areas.

Tourism is Morocco's biggest industry and you need not worry about anything you mention for a moment. Dress somewhat conservatively (cover knees and shoulders, no shorts & halter tops) although nothing would happen, it would simply cause you to be viewed as a person ignorant of the culture, nothing more. Drink bottled water which your tour will make available. The food is wonderful. Eat anything your tour restaurants put in front of you

And you're on a tour and therefore insulated to a large extent from the culture you've come to see. I travel regularly in Morocco on my own, a woman now 67 and over the years, even in times less than ideal politically, have never been treated with anything other than courtesy and friendliness. Lovely people. Enjoy yourself.
Jul 25th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Dear mmePerdue
Thank you so much for your reply to my concerns. Your advice has made me feel much more confident and I know we will have a wonderful trip.
Jul 25th, 2012, 01:16 PM

I'm sure you will love Morocco. The first time I went was on a small group tour and I realized before long that it was a place I could travel on my own should I want to return. And I have returned, as I mentioned, a number of times since. The country is very well organized for travel of all kinds while still retaining the beauty and spirit that's attracted so many travelers.
Jul 25th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Well said Giuseppa, i totally agree and for more info put MOROCCO TRAVEL TIPS at the search box you will get tons of information to help your travel plans.
Aug 1st, 2012, 12:50 PM

I agree with everything Mme Perdu said...and it seemed to ease your thoughts A more colorful country than Maroc would be hard to find. I wish you could have had some time in Essaouira. Traveling to Erfoud will bring you into the Erg Chebbi region and the vast dunes. and you'll get your taste of the desert. Tou are heading for a memorable journey...keep camera ready.

Search this Thread