Search

Jasher's Final Botswana/SA Itinerary, June/July 2006

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jasher's Final Botswana/SA Itinerary, June/July 2006

Hello everyone,

After many weeks in the circles of logistical hell that Dante somehow missed, I've finalised my June/July itinerary. It's undergone some significant reveisions because of the Unmentionable Venture...hopefully I'll still be able to cross paths with a few of you en route.

June 22: Depart London on overnight Virgin Atlantic flight.
In June 23 Out June 24: Joburg (TBA - probably the Grace or the Saxon)
In June 24 Out June 27: Savuti
In June 27 Out June 28: Selinda
In June 28 Out July 3: Mombo Main Camp
In July 3 Out July 4: Lebala
In July 4 Out July 6: Lagoon
In July 6 Out July 8: Jack's Camp
In July 8 Out July 9: Joburg (TBA)
In July 9 Out July 11: Singita Ebony
In July 11 Out July 14: Mala Mala Main Camp
In July 14 Out July 16: Londolozi Pioneer Camp
In July 16 Out July 17: Joburg (TBA)
July 17: Overnight flight to London

Now that most of the logistics have been sorted, I'm really looking forward to this trip. A few more days at some of the camps would have been ideal (normally I have a 3-night minimum at a given lodge) but most educationals don't run more than two days.

This trip went from being a dream holiday to being a working holiday. The relaxation part will come first with Savuti and Mombo, and hopefully my time there will re-charge me for the working part at Kwando and the Sabi Sands. I'd really hoped to avoid seeing too much of JNB this year (I got to know it way too well last year with all the transfers between Botswana, Madikwe, and the Sabi Sands) but it couldn't be avoided.

I know Elz1 will overlap with me at Mombo and Savuti --any one else?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM

I think we were about to cross paths at the airport ;-) But with your revisions, that has changed My flight home from JNB is June 19th.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:54 PM

Looks like an interesting itinerary? If you can divulge, what is the price for an "educational visit", say as a percentage of rack rate (what the rest of us pay).

And what do you need to obtain an "educational"?

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM

It may be "work" to you, but I bet most of us would prefer it to what we do 5 days a week. It should be wonderful, but as thit_cho implies, I don't even want to think about the tab for this one. Have fun, and don't "work" too hard.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:21 PM

All I can say is that Julian better <i><b>WORK</b></i> damn hard on the trip report upon his return!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:22 PM
cw

With all that work, perhaps you need an assistant?

Can't wait to read your report. Is Pioneer Camp at Londolozi your favorite?

cw
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:27 PM

Julian,

When at LZ Pioneer, I'm guessing you'll probably be in a &quot;suite&quot;. I've seen one of the suites at Pioneer, #6 I think, which is really lovely. But if you get a chance, could you take a look at the &quot;chalets&quot; at Pioneer. The chalets are so much less expensive, and the chalets at Bateleur have not received very good reviews lately. Plus, I like the idea of the open kitchen at Pioneer.
Thanks a lot, Brandywine
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
santharamhari

Julian,

Sounds awesome!!! Do keep us updated with a trip report and pics......

Hari

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 02:02 AM

Hi Julian,

I am also off to Botswana and South Africa and also Zimbabwe at the very end of June and into July. I finish off at Londolozi, in 15 July and out hopefully 10 nights later.

I am going to Founders for the 1st five nights, then onto Pioneer. So I will be at Londolozi, just not the same camp.

Hope you enjoy your trip, you certainly are getting around, but I suppose that is why it is work!

Kind regards
Kaye
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I'll definitely try to get a look at as many rooms as possible (at all of the camps I visit) and take some pics to post.

So far Londoz Tree is my favourite Londoz camp -- I chose Pioneer because although I've visited I haven't stayed there, and I also really liked the idea of the open kitchen. I'll definitely take a look at the renovations at Bateleur as well.

Kaye, if you want to meet up for a drink during one of the siestas (personally I never sleep during them anyhow - who wants to sleep on safari?) that would be great -- I'll be going over to take a look at Founders since it's the other camp I haven't stayed at.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Sounds great Jules. Are you still meeting up with Canechick? I'll be getting in touch with you as things draw nearer, but keep the date Friday, May 26 in mind for London. And heck, if there are any other UKers on the board who can get away, I've got a long layover and plan to take the tube into London that day. We could make it a real Fodors GTG!

Cheerio,
Sharon
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Julian, We won't overlap in any camps but we'll overlap at the airport twice. I'll be landing in Joburg on June 23rd at 10:20am. I'm not sure what happens next because Rocco is working on it for me right now. I can't catch the 11:10 plane that's direct to MalaMala so I need another way to get there without spending (wasting) a day in Joburg.

I'll also be at the airport in Joburg on July 8th from 3:45 to 7:45.

It looks like you have an amazing trip lined up and I'm completely jealous! I don't know if you read my trip report about Botswana but we spent the night on the ground in a sleeping bag in the middle of the Makgadikgadi Pans. We saw the lights from Jack's Camp off in the distance and now I'll get to read your report from Jack's. I'm sure they'll take you to see this 3,000 year old baobab tree http://www.pbase.com/cjw/image/51461094. It was amazing to see that tree and this is one of my favorite pictures from the trip.

Have you started your countdown yet? It's either 11 weeks or 79 days - whichever sounds closer (the kids are keeping track). Even though you are calling it a working holiday, it's still a dream holiday!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:09 AM
johan_belgium

Julian,

It's difficult to do better! I hope you'll have a fantastic time besides all the work!!!

Unfortunately we don't cross paths because it's the first time in four years that I won't be in Botswana in June.

And hopefully we see some great pics of you later on.

Greetings,

Johan

Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I will be in the southwestern corner of Botswana when you are in Mombo -- so I only overlap by country, not park or camp.

Michael
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM

Kaye

Where and when in Botswana?
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Sharon,

Autumn and I will be meeting up at Savuti -- we plan to do a sleep out in one of the hides, which should be exciting! Supposedly one of them has a resident leopard -- I love leopards but think that I'd prefer to avoid sleeping with a cat larger than Diva.

Sundowner,

Planes that pass in the morning, or in the afternoon...I look forward to seeing that baobab tree. I've never seen one on quite that scale before. On one hand I feel like the trip can't start soon enough -- on the other I have way too much to do before I go!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I will be there in my dreams...
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:32 PM

Hi Julian,

That would be great!

Kind regards,
Kaye

Hi Matt,

I am off to CCA camps for 5 nights at Nxageba and 3 nights at Sandibe then 6 nights at Matetsi. A bit too long at Matetsi considering reports, but the other camps were booked out even though I had a booking than changed it when I was told that not a real chance of seeing sable in Botswana, so changed it all as I want to see them and I am told I have a great chance at Matetsi.

I leave Brisbane 30 June.

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Kaye,

If nothing else you can do a lot of canoeing while at Matetsi!

Also, you should be able to do an all-day game drive in Chobe if you hire a private vehicle/guide for the day through CCA. At least that is what one couple did while I was at Matetsi five years ago.

Then check out this link for some good Victoria Falls options on activities:

www.seasonsinafrica.com
Old Apr 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Hello Kaye,

Look forward to meeting up with you at Londoz, and hearing what you think of the CCA camps in Botswana.

Another good sable option in Botswana is LV -- there are regular sightings there.

Cheers,
Julian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -