needs a reputable rental car company in Namibia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to visit Namibia the end of May.Would like to do self drive safaris. However, heard lots of problem on the road like flat tires or window chip. Wonder if there is any suggestion for a reputable rental car company which provide roadside assistance, insurance that covers flat tires and windshield chips. Also wonder if flat tires or windshield chips covered by comprehensive collision insurance. I know Hertz offered comprehensive body collision and super insurance with their quoted rate on line.
Would appreciate any advice and suggestions regarding car rental in Namibia.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 06:12 PM

We rented a car from Hertz and picked it up in Walvis Bay (flew there from Cape Town, SA) and turned it in in Windhoek after driving around for 10 days. I do not remember about the type of insurance we got because we never had a problem with tires, chips or anything mechanical. There is very little traffic so driving was easy even on the gravel roads (and on the left side of the road.)
We enjoyed Namibia very much.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 05:31 AM

You might want to get in touch with Discover Namibia Safaris. Gemma has been a great help for me on putting together an itinerary and she gets good rates for car hire including the tire and windshield insurance. Just Google for Discover Namibia Safaris, or she might reply in this thread as well as she's active on Fodors
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 05:46 AM

I've not heard of window chips being a problem (cars should slow down when approaching each other on gravel roads).

But punctures are possible. They don't cost much to repair, though, so I doubt they'd be insured. Get 2 spare tyres for extra peace of mind.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 05:54 AM

I used Budget based mainly on its offering the lowest price (an insurance package was included). As mentioned above, check that you get 2 spares. I'd also check the car over very carefully when accepting it and make sure you note any dings, dents, scratches, whatever, to avoid any problems when you turn back the car.
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Another vote for 2 spares tires (and Gemma)! We rented with a large international company that starts with "H" - we're still arguing with them regarding charges for flat tires and drop off. (re the latter I had a clear quote that did not include a drop off fee but they tried to charge it anyway - likely a disconnect between booking in North America and dealing with a local franchisee, but not my problem)

Definitely take a second tire for piece of mind - we had two flats and tire replacements can be complicated. (re the above comment that tire repairs don't cost much to repair - absolutely agree with that but both of our flat tires were caused by wall punctures and couldn't be repaired).

Gemma's email is

[email protected]
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 02:19 AM

"piece" of mind.....actually that could be correct for some people!

"peace of mind", of course!
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 03:27 AM

I always recommend to take out tyre and windscreen insurance. Chips are pretty common in windscreens and can be pricey if you end up paying for a new windscreen.
2 tyres are a must if you are planning a lot of gravel road driving. You can get punctures patched up in most towns, but if you lose 2 tyres on the same stretch of road then you are in a bit of a pickle!

@Nikao the 4x4 I sourced for you with zero excess and tyre and windscreen coverage was through Advanced Car Hire in Windhoek
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 04:43 AM

Hi Gemma! The difficult thing is when one relies on using the credit card insurance feature as a means of reducing rental costs. When we rented with "H", I used our Visa for insurance - consequently they wouldn't sell us the tyre and windscreen insurance - it was all or nuthin'

Will some other Namibian based rental companies sell it separately?
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 05:31 AM

Ah yes, if you are using your credit card for the car insurance rather than taking out the rental companies then you can run into problems.
The big internationals, Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Budget are not particularly flexible when it comes to this, as you mention it is an all or nothing deal.

If I remember correctly Cabs Car Hire and Camel Car Hire let you just take the tyre and windscreen insurance.