Need to ship luggage from Cape Town to Joburg

Sep 6th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Need to ship luggage from Cape Town to Joburg

Need some advice! In April we will be in South Africa in the middle of a 'round the world trip. The weight restrictions for luggage on our flights in Botswana are a killer. The clothes that we'll "need" for Cape Town, Lisbon and Paris weigh too much. And we were so efficient with our routing that we don't circle back to any town. (start in Cape Town, end in Joburg) What we would like to do is ship a suitcase from Cape Town to our hotel in Joburg. Any suggestions for companies that send packages that routing? Doesn't need to be by air - we won't be in Joburg until 8 days later.
Thanks!
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Hello,

Oh, the envy -- I have always dreamed of taking a round the world trip!

You may be able to ship them through the SA mail service. I shipped some stuff from Cape Town to Londolozi, and it was fairly inexpensive.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:47 PM

rtw2006

I agree with Jasher that the mail service will probably do the trick. Just be aware that there is a small possibility that if you send the parcel by ordinary mail service you might not find the case awaiting you in Johannesburg. This is because the mail service is quite slow in SA. It is for this reason that I would advise that you pay the extra levy and send the case priority mail if you elect to take this option. You can do this at any local Post Office. You could also do this at any POSTNET outlet. Please note that these outlets have nothing to do with the Post Office and are more expensive that the normal postal services but the service that you obtain from a POSTNET is impeccable.

Surprisingly enough I think your cheapest option would be stop send the case on to Johannesburg as unaccompanied luggage. To do this you would have to arrive at Cape Town International about 3 hours before your flight, go to the luggage terminal (far from the departure terminals) and simply despatch the luggage as per the above manner. I say again leave at least 3 hours available to yourself before your departure time at Cape Town airport, that is if you are flying on a flight to Maun (International flight).

Hope this helps and enjoy your journey through our great country.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread