Reload this Page >

Need the experts one more time!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 09:42 AM
chacheetah

Yes, it is me again. Found out that my operator looked at wrong dates, and Tortilis is available; but after reading lots of forum postings, most people say SKIP it and go to Samburu. If I am already in Laipeka, would it make sense to see yet another area in the north and skip the south - or try the Amboselli area just to be different. Also what is the weather like there in Sept. is it really dry and dusty..what is it like in the northern areas: Loisaba, Elsas , Joys... I know Sept. is their winter, but warm days - is it HOT like in our south, or hot like in California with low humidity?? Is it dusty and dry ?? here is (one more time) my itinerary and I need to fit 2 days in somewhere: arrive NBO o/n (Trying to decide where
(Day 2 Planned Tortilis, was told booked, now Not booked ( 2 nights) This is what I could change, or keep depending on your VOTES!
Fly Wilson - then to Loisaba 2 nights--then
Fly Mara - 3 nights Mara Explorer, 3 nights Saruni. Back to NBO day room, etc.
All have been booked; but can change as of now but I think they mean NOW!
What are pros of Amboselli ( I thought - views of Mt, Kili, elies, beautiful site, and of course Sandi - great Italian food!)
Samburu - don't know much..everyone seems to love Elsas - I love elies, lots of elies and great scenery..seems Tortilis has elies but what does scenery do for you? Thank you one more time! Cc

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 09:54 AM
chacheetah

Whoops, meant to hit preview; wish they had a pop -up that said"do you really want to post?" But I guess you can figure out the gist..I have not selected the NBO overnight..was given a few selections, but as I like small properties, I think it will be Sandi's favorite (yes I do read trip reports but still have questions!) House of Waine. thank you all for info on Tortilis and Samburu - I have read the past postings and am just as confused. Maybe I need it explained in very simple terms A very big smile there! Cc

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a normal Sep, Amboseli would be dry and dusty. You often see photos of whirling dust devils. It's probably the dustiest park I've been to in Kenya/Tanzania.

There's very little humidity in any of the places that you mention. Temperatures have to do with the elevation. Samburu/Shaba/Meru (and also Amboseli) are low elevation parks (around 2,000-3,000 ft) and should be warm to hot, but not unpleasantly so at that time of year. Laikipia and the Mara are at elevations of 5000-6000 ft and should have warm days and cool to chilly nights during that time of year.

Both Samburu and Amboseli are very good for elephants. Samburu has the "northern species" but some of these are also present in Laikipia.

Have you priced out these various options? Is there much of a difference in cost?

Finally, would the number of other tourists have any influence in your decision? Samburu, Amboseli, and the Mara will be busy in high season, whereas there are never too many people in Laikipia, Meru or Shaba.

Hope this helps in your decision. I'm not going to vote for you
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Oh, and what about Tsavo West? Another scenic park. In terms of scenery, I find Tsavo West and Shaba to be the most dramatic and beautiful.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:14 AM
chacheetah

Patty, thank you. As you may have read this is a family event, and I am the one going. I tried to do budget, but the group said go for it. So I am doing C&P and it does not matter to them if I change 2 nights. C&P actually told me it was quieter in Sept., as I had originally thought Aug. 08 as a time to go.. and they said to wait.That being said who really knows what kind of crowds will be there in Sept. (mid) I think maybe Meru or Shaba could fit the bill; I really wanted to see Mt. Kili though as my brother has climbed it and my husband wants to but won't! I thought actually it would be romantic. After two years of potty calls,I could use some of that. But if Amboselli is really dusty, I guess that could ruin the mood. We'd be spitting dust at each other. Guess your input was a CHAD not a split vote...Appreciate it, Cc

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:21 AM
chacheetah

Tsvao West - ok I could be in. How do I get there..Wilso and fly? (I cannot drive to these places; joints way too bad to do that and include game drives.) I am carefully choosing my aches and pains.
At the end of a drive I hope there will be a tub or hot shower waiting for me. Along with a nice glass of African wine. What properties do you recommend? I need small remember. I don't think I saw a C&P but I know they will add any other lodging requested. Will look into it. Thx.Cc

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Safarilink flies between Wilson and Tsavo West. Timing is similar to their Amboseli schedule as I think it's a circle route going Wilson/Tsavo West/Amboseli. Their schedule lists Kilaguni, Finch Hattons and Ol Donyo Wuas as the airstrips they serve.

www.safarilink.co.ke

I'd recommend looking at Finch Hattons or Ol Donyo Wuas (which is actually in Chyulu Hills adjacent to Tsavo West). Finch Hattons is a larger camp (around 30 tents), but I think they rarely operate at full capacity, plus the tents are in separate groupings so you don't feel that the camp is that large. Tent #7 has a great view of the hippo springs.

From Tsavo West or Chyulu Hills you should also be able to see Kili if it's clear.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:36 AM
chacheetah

Checked out Tsavao West - Finch Hattons?
and Shaba - would be Joy's

What happened to Travelnfools trip report;
he went to several northern lodges and I never saw finished report. Anyone seen it?
So Joys or Tortilis in terms of ambiance, dustfree evironment,tents, GAME..
who has been to both in September? Anyone out there? Thanks Cc

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
chacheetah

Patty our postings crossed Ol Donyo wuas looked amazing. will check that out. thank you so much! I think Sandi may have mentioned it back when my head was so full of info I did not know if I even wanted to go! The pics on one of the sites from google were glorious. wow. Cc

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM

I'm here.

It's not so much whether it makes sense to visit another area if in Laikipia, which is very different than Samburu, rather Laikipia to Samburu would be a charter flight and expensive. As previously posted the northern parks - Meru, Samburu and Shaba - have scheduled flights. Joy's and Elsa's will be more expensive than Tortilis.

Tsavo West is lovely and different than other locations, with scheduled flight via Amboseli if paxs for this park, otherwise, direct.

Ol Donyo Wuas is the most expensive (over Finch Hattons or Kilaguni) and priced in line with Campi ya Kanzi also in the Chyulu Hills. Campi ya Kanzi has their own private plane for minimum 2/paxs at less costly price than an actual private charter. While you can get to CYK with stop at Finch Hatton's you will pay a transfer fee to/from CYK-Finch Hatton's airstrip and Tsavo Park fee.

But, as Patty mentions Finch Hatton's Camp is lovely and with 3-sections, doesn't feel like the larger camp it is. While Patty stayed in tent #7, we stayed in tent #6 and liked this very much - this section with only 7/tents is the smaller of the three areas and feels like your own private camp.

Decisions, decisions.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM
chacheetah

Hi Sandi! So I have to assume ODW is more than Tortilis; though it looked gorgeous on the web it sounds like a lot of work/money to get there for 2 nights; so I will look at Finch Hattons. I liked the area, but since you have been to BOTH Tort and Finch, what would YOU choose if it is your only (and though everyone says its not, I have a huge feeling it is!) time.
And IF I ever had the opportunity to go again, I would have to go to Tanzania and see that crazy place at the crater called the Crater Lodge! So I know for sure I won't get back to Amboselli. I am making the most of this and my wonderful family has said, no worry; but you know I am not going to throw their money away. If its in N. Crater price range I would not even think of it! SO...back to Tortilis or Finch. Not bad decisions to make - I am sure both will be perfect. Any input on your visits are appreciate. Cc

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM
chacheetah

Well now I am answering my own posts; I've just got to go on the trip and get over it.
I used the search mode (DUH) and came across a whole thread on Finch vs. Amboselli...Caroline did a great report, and recommended tent 9 at Tortilis knowing this by Sandi. But I was told tent one or two, so Sandi if you read this - HELP! Then I will jet off to E/ Africa (in a year, but I will Get There) and I promise an indepth report and gifts for all. well..maybe. thx. Cc

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 03:34 AM

Cha -

Yup, tent #9 at Tortilis, with unobstructed view of Kili if it decides shows itself. If C&P has your dates for Tortilis at Amboseli, go for it. Their staff and guides are wonderful, as is their food. You won't be disappointed.

Amboseli is dry and can be dusty in September... it's so flat, but those dust devils are quite amazing; believe the first every pics I took on my first safari. Toss a bandana into your bag to cover your face/mouth, just in case.

There are so many interesting parks/reserves to visit and as many wonderful camps, it's impossible to do all in one trip and not break the bank or need weeks on end to accomplish.

While you may not think so now, you'll be planning a return trip. For now you have a wonderful itinerary and C&P are great to deal with.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:08 AM
chacheetah

Sandi - well now they tell me there is a one night waitlist, so while browsing ODW, and Finch Hattons, I came across a new property that has 5 of l7 tents completed - the web site is www.SataoElerai.com owned by Southern Cross Safaris. I think you may need to do a "fam" trip and report back! Has anyone heard of it- know anything - the pics I saw looked great. I will keep my Tortilis for time being but keep looking. THX. Cc

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:47 AM

That link doesn't seem to work for me. I hadn't heard of Satao Elerai before but came across a reference to the camp in Jan's trip report on bushdrums http://tinyurl.com/2v57dk
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:47 AM
chacheetah

Sorry..the site is www.Sataoeleraicamp.com but I've been having to google to get it..must be really new! Anyhow, if someone has seen it, heard of it, been there - it would be great to hear your experiences. Thanks, Cc

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 07:13 AM
chacheetah

Patty, thank you for the link. That has me with another question, how do you go about sharing a link like that..I don't even know how to link a forum posting. Is there somewhere on the forum that explains how to do that? I am always impressed when I see it done, but just about all I can do on a posting is mistype! Thanks, Cc

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 07:30 AM

I will be at Satao Elerai in early October this year, amongst other places.
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:09 AM
chacheetah

CHSL: thats great; any particular draw for you to choose it? Looking forward to hearing what you think! Cc

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 08:23 AM

Yes, I am mapping Amboseli with GPS and visiting every hill, corner, lodge and camp!

I am also doing Samburu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -