Need some advice please

Reply

Feb 8th, 2004, 09:02 AM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 596
Need some advice please

In October, I signed up for a trip to Egypt in April with a tour company I have traveled twice with before. It is a higher priced trip but not by any means the highest. The gal I spoke with said the tour needed a minimum of 8 and if by February 13th (final payment date) this was not met all monies would be returned. I didn't think 8 would be a problem as I know two parties who have done the same trip. Considering this, I booked the air and insurance through them as this would all be returned also. My problem is that as of last week, the tour companies' agent said that the tour would definitely "go" and they were just expecting 3 deposits. Their reasoning is that people are booking tours much later. But, another company I had been looking at has filled that date up according to their website. I also asked this person what would happen if there were 8 and someone dropped out at the last minute. Her response was that the trip then would be up to the decision of the "CEO". I just love to worry and now I am thinking they might say the trip is a "go" and not have enough yet or that someone might drop out because of an emergency. That leaves us with no trip maybe even at the last minute. I did go through a travel agent and as the price was no different, I decided to give her the business. So - what to do??? If I cancel I will lose the deposit and insurance monies (approx.$1,500) Thanks for any advice you might be able to send my way.
Louise is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:45 AM
  #2
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,182
Louise
Wouldn't the insurance you bought with them cover for cancellation?
Unless they sold you a very narrow policy that states that it covers only the tour segment itself then it should pay out for air and deposit on cancellation.
If not, is it worth your buying (fast) another policy, ensuring that it DOES cover all elements in event of cancellation by the agency?
Kavey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 8th, 2004, 01:13 PM
  #3
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 596
Hi, Kavey - I guess maybe what I was trying to get across was confusing. I am not worried about getting my money if the trip is canceled as I will get that back. I just don't want to be stuck in the airport with packed bags and no where to go if there is a minimum and someone cancels at the last minute. Also, I have this sinking feeling that they may say they have enough and charge the whole trip to my Visa hoping more people sign up. This leaves me with no opportunity to make arrangements with another company. I probably am worried about nothing but I certainly feel at their mercy.
Louise is offline  
Reply With Quote
Feb 8th, 2004, 11:58 PM
  #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,182
Louise
If they are any kind of reputable operator by the time they are so close as to have the confirmed travellers at the airport they aren't going to cancel!
In the UK if you book air and tour segments through the same company you're protected more comprehensively than if you book them with two different companies.
I don't know if it's the same where you are but they wouldn't be doing their reputation any good to mess you around like that.
Can you call them and ask what date their final decision will be made on?
Kavey is offline  
Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:43 AM.