Need reactions to Tanzania/Kenya itinerary 8/29-9/8

Jul 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Need reactions to Tanzania/Kenya itinerary 8/29-9/8

Friends,

I have been working with Good Earth to finalize our itinerary to Tanzania/Kenya at end of August. We are trying to stay as close to $8000 total, as possible and so far have been given the following itinerary/choices of accommodation. My objective is to start with budget accommodations and work up to a really nice lodge in the Mara.

Would really appreciate expert opinions on the following:
- Are we allocating our time to optimize for wildlife viewing/minimize unnecessary time traveling between places/time of year
- We are choosing "standard" accommodations upfront, and upgrading later in the Mara. That said, could we do better than the proposed Tanzania camps that would also fit the budget?
- Does the cost seem about right for this itinerary/time of year?

ITINERARY
Aug 29: Arrival DAR at 7:00am; Good Earth to arrange and pay for a 9:00am Coastal Air flight, leaving DAR at 9:00am to arrive Arusha at 10:30am; clients to pick up tickets from Coastal Air booth at DAR airport; met on arrival in Arusha and drive to Tarangire (approx: 2.5hrs drive), TARANGIRE SAFARI TENTED LODGE, B,L,D

Aug 30: Tarangire game drives, TARANGIRE SAFARI TENTED LODGE, B,L,D

Aug 31: Another game drive in Tarangire, then drive to overnight in Manyara (approx: 2hrs drive), game LAKE MANYARA HOTEL, B,L,D

Sep 1: Morning game Drive in Lake Manyara, then Drive to overnight in Central Serengeti (approx: 4hrs drive), SERONERA WILDLIFE LODGE, B,L,D

Sep 2: More game drives in Serengeti, SERONERA WILDLIFE LODGE, B,L,D

Sep 3: Another game drive in Serengeti, then drive to overnight in Ngorongoro (approx: 3hrs drive), NGORONGORO WILDLIFE LODGE, B,L,D

Sep 4: Game drives in the Ngorongoro crater from 7am to about 3pm with lunch boxes, then drive to overnight in Arusha (approx: 3hrs drive), IMPALA HOTEL, B,L

Sep 5: Early Morning transfer to Kilimanjaro airport (45 minutes drive) for a flight to Nairobi; met on arrival and transfer to Wilson Airport for a 10:30am flight to Masai Mara; met on arrival by driver and vehicle from Main Governors Camp who will be there host there for the 3 nights; game drives,. ILKELIANI CAMP, B,L,D

Sep 6~7: More game drives in Mara, ILKELIANI CAMP, B,L,D

Sep 8: Afternoon Flight from Mara to Wilson airport; transfer to Nairobi airport for your return flight that leaves at 11:20pm (OPTIONAL day room in Nairobi is available for an extra $$), B,L

Price (2 people): $190 (flight: DAR to ARK) + $2,120 (Private safari for 2 in Tanzania) + $230 (flight: Kilimanjaro to Nairobi) + $1,580 (Kenya, group safari including transfers and night in Nairobi and the flight: Wilson/Mara/Wilson) = $4,120/person

The cost is with a private safari in Tanzania, and a group safari in Mara.

Thank you so much in advance!
Sharmila
Aug 1st, 2008, 08:57 AM

The price is roughly what is being charged now... Tanzania isn't really the place to go budget on this kind of a trip, although I suspect you could do better (only suspect - I just had the impression that the Wildlife Lodges were a little less expensive than that, and you can certainly stay cheaper in Arusha if you wish)... the Kenya portion seems a bit expensive if you are really traveling with a group. I also raise an eyebrow at your being met by a driver from Governor's if you are traveling down by road and staying at Ilkeliani! The price is approximately what I would hope to pay for a three-night fly-in to Governor's Camp (which was more expensive than Ilkeliani last time I looked), coincidentally, so that does make me wonder.... and where is the night in Nairobi that is said to be included in the price? You also mention choices of accommodation.... what are these?

Aug 1st, 2008, 09:58 AM

The OP is flying to Ilkeliani but yes, I was wondering about the picked up by Governors vehicle part too. The price also seemed a bit steep to me for Ilkeliani if it's just for return airport transfers, return Mara flights and 3 nights game package. I'd refrained from commenting earlier as I haven't priced any Mara camps in a while so maybe that is how much Ilkeliani costs now which is a frightening thought. I'd get quotes from Kenya based operators for the Mara portion just to compare.
Aug 1st, 2008, 11:36 AM

On Sep 5, the early morning flight from JRO to Nairobi... how early? and into which airport? the international (JKIA/NBO) or domestic (Wilson). If JKIA, then you'll have a tight transfer to Wilson for the 10am flight (didn't know there was a 10:30am flight).

As other mentions... don't understand why driver from Governor's is meeting you for stay at Ilkeliani? Unless they mean you're flying into the airstrip at Governor's camp!!!

Can't comment on prices.
Aug 1st, 2008, 11:43 AM

On Sep 5, the early morning flight from JRO to Nairobi... how early?

It would have to be PW723 at 6:00am into NBO. No other flight would allow enough time to make the morning Mara flight.
Aug 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM

Scheduled arrival is 6:50am. I think that should be OK to do the NBO-WIL transfer for a 10:00am.

If OP wants to fly into NBO the evening before, PW725 at 7:40pm is the latest flight on the 4th but would require cutting the crater game drive short.