Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Need Name Of "Best" Cairo Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/need-name-of-best-cairo-hotel-26800/)

Leslie Jun 7th, 1998 07:00 PM

Need Name Of "Best" Cairo Hotel

Need someone's first hand experience/recommendation. Which hotel - The Nile Hilton, The Sheraton or the Cairo Marriott - is best in terms of comfort, ambiance and convenience? We are leaving end of Sept. and must make reservations now, so I REALLY appreciate your help!

T Alexander Jun 8th, 1998 09:57 PM

We just returned from Cairo last week. We stayed at the Ramses Hilton. It is newer than the Nile Hilton and is quite central. Our cab driver told us that he best hotel was either the Marriot or the Intercontinental. We were very comfortable at the Ramses Hilton and it is supposed to be one of Cairo's best. The Nile Hilton is older but appears well maintained and is also very central. Good luck and have a nice trip!

Gene Kasprzyk Jun 14th, 1998 08:56 PM

If you are looking for ambience you can forget the hotels you have mentioned. Do you really want an American experience while in Cairo? Why not consider the Menas House? Absolutely fabulous although possibly a notch below those you mentioned in terms of overall quality. Can't be beat for ambience as it sits at the foot of the pyramids in Giza. Other negative is it is a good 30 minutes from downtown Cairo. The Mena House was built at the turn of the century I believe and was one of the Hotels used to film Death on the Nile.

Paula Smith Jun 15th, 1998 08:53 AM

I agree that the Mena House has the best spot in Cairo although it is a drive to Giza where it sits a block from the Pyramids. The Marriott's public <BR>rooms are opulent - the hotel sits on top of a former palace. The Nile Hilton is right next to the <BR>Egyptian Museum - but you stay at one Hilton, you stay at them all!! The Intercontinental is situated on the Nile and has magnificent views of the river. <BR>All of the hotels mentioned belong to large chains and truly have all the amenities but then you can get the same thing in New York. When in Cairo, <BR>stay go with the history and culture - stay at the Mena House. There are not a chain of Mena Houses <BR>sitting next to the Pyramids in every city!!

leslie fain Jun 15th, 1998 06:02 PM

Thanks for the info re Cairo hotels. Can you tell me if you obtained your visa at the airport or in the USA? Did you eat in restaurants other than the hotel dining rooms? Did you use taxis to get around Cairo, and what was the cost? Did you <BR>need any innoculations prior to your trip? Did anyone take a Nile cruise, if so, what can you tell me about the experience? I know this is a big order, but your first hand knowledge is invaluable to me! <BR>

Kevin and Beth Jun 20th, 1998 06:49 PM

We are planning our 1st trip to Egypt this October... <BR>Does anyone have any suggestions, etc. regarding sites to see, tours, etc. We will be there for approx 2 weeks. Do we need to book our tours from the USA or can we do it once there?

karen Jun 26th, 1998 10:25 AM

If you haven't decided on a hotel yet, I would suggest the Cairo Marriott. It is central located and the common rooms are wonderful. <BR> <BR>As for visas, you can get them at the airport. However, it is a bit confusing and you may find it easier to get them ahead of time. <BR> <BR>Re: resturants - I have been to Cairo half a dozen times and rarely eat in the hotel resturants. They are expensive and for the most part boring. I have never had any stomach troubles, but you need to use common sense. Do not eat uncooked food, don't buy food from street vendors, and if a place looks iffy, take a pass. One chain in Cairo that is a good place to try Egyptian food is Felfela's. Ask at the hotel - I am sure they can tell you where the nearest one is. <BR> <BR>Re: shots - I don't think any are required, but a GG is never a bad idea. <BR> <BR>Re: taxis - good way to travel (you wouldn't want to try and drive in Cairo). They can be incredibly cheap, but drivers will try to take advantage of you because you are a tourist. Tell the doorman at the hotel where you are going and ask what a reasonable price is. <BR> <BR>re: Nile cruises - My husband and I took one and really enjoyed it. However, the thing that is not to be missed is Abu Simbel. It is an amazing site. <BR> <BR>Have a great time. Egypt is a wonderful place.

sharon Jun 27th, 1998 08:15 PM

Let me second the recommendation for Felfela. It was great and very inexpensive (they do not take credit cards). For a little more ambience, a little more money (credit cards accepted) and a combination of Egyptian and Continental meals, try Arabesque. At both restaurants be sure to have Om Ali (or Um Ali) for dessert. It is an Egyptian bread pudding made with filo dough, currants, nuts and lots of milk and sugar - just delicious). We stayed at the Marriot, the tower rooms are nicer than the garden rooms and the public areas are just beautiful. We took the Nile cruise and it is the best way to see all the temples from Aswan to Luxor. Be sure to take the optional trip to Abu Simbel - it is worth the expense, even if they don't give you enough time at this most amazing site. <BR>

Neal Sanders Jun 29th, 1998 02:04 PM

Leslie, Kevin and Beth: <BR> <BR>1) We obtained visas in the US at the Egyptian embassy in Washington. The process took only five days. <BR> <BR>2) Because our itinerary included sites as far south as Abu Simbel, we loaded up on shots. We're headed for India next year and figure they'll be useful there as well. <BR> <BR>3) We stayed at the Marriott, which is an oasis of Americana in the middle of Cairo; which is good if you want king size beds, CNN, lots of hot water and pressure, etc. Warning: request an upper floor -- street noise in Cairo is non-stop. The Nile Hilton, if it meets the same standard according to other visitors, has the added advantage of being across from the Egyptian Archeological Museum, which takes two full days to see properly. <BR> <BR>As to the Mena House, I acknowledge the comments from others, but you can't get around the fact that the Mena House is almost an hour out of Cairo. Moreover, while it once sat rather majestically alone with the Pryamids, it is today hemmed in by apartment towers. We thought of staying there for the history, and were glad we didn't when we finally saw the place for the first time. <BR> <BR>4) We stayed overnight in Abu Simbel. On the one hand, it was the experience of a lifetime to see the temple of Ramses II without crowds (our group of ten were the only visitors on site!), at night, and then again at dawn. The downside is that the lone hotel in town, the Nefertari, may well be the worst "luxury" hotel on the face of the earth. It reeked of insecticide, water appeared and disappeared at random, and the staff threw the garbage down the hillside. <BR> <BR>5) A Nile cruise is a great way to both see the countryside and visit some of the out-of-the-way temples like Esau and Kom Ombo. Choose the smallest boat you can afford. We were on the Abercrombie and Kent Sun Boats II and IV, which were just the right size at 30 cabins. It also allowed us to decompress after Cairo. <BR> <BR>6) Other hotels: Sheraton Luxor was OK, nothing special. Another slice of America on the Nile. Aswan Oberoi was terriffic; I'm sorry we had only one night there.

Becky Jul 9th, 1998 11:31 AM

We visited Egypt in March. The Cairo Sheraton is just ok, fairly good location but very noisy. I would try something else next time. Our cruise ship was the Sonesta Sun Goddess, very good staff. Be sure to only book a four day cruise. The last two days of our six day cruise we sat in port at Luxor, which was not very comfortable. We did stay one night in Luxor at the Sonesta St George Hotel, very comfortable, almost brand new. A hotel not to miss is the Old Cataract in Aswan, just be sure to stay in the OLD part. If you have time in Aswan, hire a felluca to take you to a Nubian village, we did, and it was a highlight of our trip. Have a wonderful trip, Egypt is fabulous to visit.

Leslie Jul 26th, 1998 02:53 PM

I am eternally grateful for all your comments! We've got reservations at the Cairo Marriott and decided to add Abu Simel to our iternerary. Next decision is what shots to get. (I have this morbid fear of getting really sick in a foreign country.) The CDC web site dosen't reccomend anything. Guess I'll check with a public health doctor. <BR>

Peggy Roloff Jul 26th, 1998 09:37 PM

We are planning our first trip to Egypt. Really appreciate all the chat about where to stay. We would prefer the local feeling rather than "Sheridan around the world", however, we don't want to get sick and would like to take a shower or bath. The Mena sounds good to us. What is the rate? Also would like the recommendations for just 1 weeks visit. The felluca ride on the Nile, Egyptian museum, pyramids, Luxor (has anyone stayed at the Winter Hotel ?) and the Coptic museum. What else and is it best to join a tour or can we go it alone and connect with a guide thru the museums...??? Help...please

Paula Smith Jul 28th, 1998 08:24 AM

You do not need shots to travel to Egypt. However, <BR>be sure that your tetnus shot is up to date as Egypt <BR>is not at the top of hygiene lists. <BR> <BR>The Mena House has two sections - the Old section closer to the Pyramids and the Garden section which is newer. The rates vary with the season but the <BR>Old section is about $150 and the Garden is $100. <BR> <BR>If this is your first trip to Egypt it is better to have things arranged before getting there as jet lag <BR>and the foreign atmosphere can be daunting. People <BR>can be put off by the Arab custom of baksheesh (tips) and bargaining for everything.

Gene Jul 28th, 1998 08:40 PM

Definitely two thumbs up for the Winter Palace. Great old Hotel on the Corniche in Luxor.

vigdis Aug 6th, 1998 06:14 AM

I'm surprised that nobody seem to have mentioned The Valley of Kings. To go into the graves, look at the paintings thousands of years old, that was really great. But then, Egypt is "priceless" if you're the least interested in culture and history. The Nile cruise is great, take all the tours you can, but be aware of the food. Most people on these trips (if they haven't changed lately) get jalajala (run, run). Above all, don't eat mayonaise or anything similar, and don't try to buy cheap water. <BR> <BR>

m.alfayed Aug 9th, 1998 11:07 AM

hello , <BR>its not the hotel will make you happy its the company this is what i think a hotel is just a place to sleep. <BR>a nice hotel and no fun you will not enjoy. <BR> <BR>this is a friend from cairo contact if you need help. <BR>we are not a travel agency but we are a group of students how like to help. <BR> <BR>[email protected]

Nura Jun 25th, 1999 03:05 PM

The ABSOLUTE BEST hotel I have been to (including the US and Europe) has been the Cairo Marriott, believe it or not. It was formerly a palace, and still looks it; the decor is absolutely beautiful. Within hotel itself there is an abundance of cafes and restaurants, as well as a quaint bakery/deli that was great for breakfast and light lunches. Right across the street is the Nile River and the Nile Maxim (a floating restaurant w/entertainment). It was a nice experience, though I wouldn't recommend the food.