Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Need Lodging Recommendation For Tarangire and Zanzibar...

Need Lodging Recommendation For Tarangire and Zanzibar...

Nov 24th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Need Lodging Recommendation For Tarangire and Zanzibar...

I think I will take Thit Cho's suggestion and break up the trip a little with a couple nights in Zanzibar, rather than a single night in Dar Es Salaam.

My itinerary now looks like this:
Rome(3)
Florence (3)
Venice (2)
Abandon Italy a day early and not go to Milan for my final night
Western Serengeti (3). Grumeti River Camp.
Ngorongoro Crater (2). Crater Lodge.
Tarangire (3). Best Possible Lodging.
Zanzibar (2). Best Possible Lodging. Cannot afford to spend a third night, as I would rather have four full nights in Selous.
Selous (4). River Sands Lodge.

I will try to use frequent flier miles to fly Business Class the whole way, or at least from New York. It looks like Swiss Airlines and KLM are my best options for this, as British Airways are out of their minds, asking 180,000 miles per person.
Nov 24th, 2003, 08:46 AM

Haven't been, but I've heard the Serena on Zanzibar is nice (access to private beach and 52 rooms) or Sultan's Palace, exclusive resort on the southeast coast, with air-conditioned cottages, as well as suites. As for Tarangire, Swala and Oliver's camps and the Sopa are OK for inside the park. Tarangire Treetops is about 90 mins. from the park itself. Kikoti Camp is outside the park, but about five miles from the gate entrance. There is also Naitolia Camp, but I don't think it is of the same caliber as those previously mentioned, but I am sure you will get lots of feedback ...
Nov 24th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Hi Rocco -
With this itinerary, I would recommend KLM from AMS - JRO then take Precision Air or similar from Arusha to Zanzibar, then back DAR-AMS on KLM. I have done this circuit 3 times in the past 3 years.

Let me also suggest not going to Zanzibar, instead try Pemba Island.

I have been to Zanzibar twice in the past 2 years - I returned from there last week. Serena is nice, but not as nice as the places you usually stay (as evidenced by your previous posts).

Check out Fundu Lagoon on Pemba.

www.fundulagoon.com Its definately your kind of place.
Nov 24th, 2003, 10:10 AM

I haven't been to Zanzibar, but from what I've read, I think the Serena is the best large hotel, and Emerson & Green the best, upscale small hotel, within the old city.

Pemba may be a better option.

In either event, the decision to break up the safari with some time at the beach and the pool is a good one, and I'm sure STD would be happy at an exclusive resort mid-safari.

Search this Thread