Need hotels for Garden Route/Cape Town

Oct 6th, 2003, 09:37 AM
d43
Original Poster

Need hotels for Garden Route/Cape Town

Thank you for all of my previous responses!!!!

I have made my plane reservation and have a better idea now of where I think I want to go than before.

I am looking for help in finding really great places to stay. Could be hotels, could be B&B's, just somewhere really unique and calm. I'm lookin more for little "Shangri La" type places that stuff that is a major major tourist trap. That being said I would rather not stay in a dump.
I am flying into PE and was thinking of going to Lalibela Game Reserve or staying around Addo Elephant Park. Does anyone have a place near Addo that they reccomend.
Then I think we would drive via the Tstisikamma park down to the Plettenburg Bay/ Kynsa area for a special birthday night. I am looking for something breathtaking and special for this night. Somewhere right on the water with something good to eat. Think cocktails and sunsets.
Then head towards Mossel Bay area. Not really sure about this day. Need Suggestions.
Before we get to CT City is there somewhere you suggest between Mossel Bay and CT. I am also looking for accomodations in CT. I want to be in both the Waterfront area for a couple of nights and in someplace a little more funky and down to earth a couple of other nights. I will also be going to the Stellenbosch. Looking again for something memorable.

Thanks again...All of the previous replies have been so helpful in planning stuff...now I need to fine tune everthing and book places.
Oct 14th, 2003, 02:49 PM

d43,

I will respond to your mail fully once you tell me when you are visiting our shores. Accommodations in Cape Town and the Garden Route are difficult over some periods and I would not want to advise you about places where I know that you will have difficulty obtaining accommodation only because of the timing of your journey.

It would also be helpful if you could give me an idea as to what type of pring you would be prepared to pay for accommodation.

Looking forward to your response mail on this board.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Oct 17th, 2003, 03:19 AM

I absolutely do have places to recommend! (I was there last year on a similar trip):

Near Addo: Elephant House - quite an ordinary house from the outside but lovely courtyard inside, small pool, and absolutely delightful people who will arrange whatever you want.

Plett: we spoiled ourselves rotten at the Plettenberg Park hotel, a modern building (ex private home) outside town, set above the rocky coastline, with superb cuisine and funky decor. Another fabulous place is the castle on Noetzie beach - a tiny, little known strip of sandy beach outside Knysna, with a couple of bizarre castles one of which is an upmarket hotel. We stayed here one night but would have loved longer.

En route from Mossel to CT: We loved Grootbos, a kind of nature reserve with wooden cottages in a milkwood forest. If you go here, make the short detour to Arniston - fabulous sand dunes! Or if you want somewhere 1/2 way from Mossel to CT try Bloomestate in Swellendam (haven't been there, just heard good things)

CT - there's some very funky places outside town towards (and in) Camps Bay

For reviews on most of these places see

http://www.i-escape.com/southafricaaccommodation.php

Good luck!

Michael

Search this Thread