need help with ?'s about Kenya's geography

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried to help my daughter all day with her report on Kenya. I have given up looking for 2 specific questions and have come to ask the experts. Does anyone know a good resource for the following:

How has Kenya's geography affected the country's history and, How has the geography affect the people of the country?

Thanks soooooo much
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 03:44 AM

This is such an unusual question - would love to know what subject your daughter is studying and at what level. How old is she?

It's hard to second guess what the setters of the question want - effect on a country's history and a country's people are much the same to my mind. Do they mean the possible effect of geography on recent or formative history? Are we talking colonialism/cold war interference or agriculture.

I have some thoughts but that's not what you want, and without knowing more about the context ....
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

she is a 9th grade geography class. I really don't understand the question myself. Thanks
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 02:27 PM

Here are some random thoughts:

Indian Ocean:
About the time Columbus was heading to North American, the Portuguese sailed to East Africa and set up a stronghold there. Over time the Arabs (mainly Omani) came and began trading from the coast - slaves, ivory etc. This brought new religions and customs. Many Swahili words are actually Arabic, and I know bullfighting still exists in some areas. This water border allowed for a greater mix of people.

Volcanic soil & elevation of Central Highlands:
Allowed for agricultural society to become established, encouraging Europeans to immigrate.

Northern border:
Sporadic rains and lack of water encouraged populations of nomadic cultures

Proximity to Uganda:
Fertility of Uganda helped establish the railway between Mombasa and Kampala. This was build in part by Indian labor that stayed after rail line was completed. Nairobi located equidistant from both endpoints.

This does not even touch on the movement of the many African tribes who traveled in Kenya due to wars, climate, etc.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks soooo much. Now let me try and figure all that out!!! I was in Kenya for a month last summer. I think thats why my daughter selected that country. What ever happened to dress, music, housing and food as report topics???
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:57 AM
sandi

Out of Africa - the book. I don't know whether a 9-year old would have the patience to read this, but like the Anne Frank story, has been interpreted into numerous languages worldwide and if appropriate for most age groups. No fear, the book skirts the intensity of her relationship Denys Finch Hatton which is actually found in detail in another book. But you daughter will have an idea of how Karen dealt with "here" Kikiyu tribespeople living on her lands, also the issues she faced cultivating coffee in the outskirts of Nairobi. She was planting either too high or too low on the mountains and failed in this endeavor.

However, after the war a family from Italy was asked to immigrate to Kenya to assist with establishing a wine industry - to growing grapes. This was the Cheli family... at that time only Papa and Mama Cheli (owners of Tortilis Camp at Amboseli), they eventually had two sons, one of which married Liz Peacock, now owners of Cheli & Peacock Safaris.

As Papa Cheli told us the story (our first visit in '96) when we met him and Mama - when he arrived he realized he might do better with coffee, and unlike Karen Blixen, planted in just the right place. So as they say, the rest is history. They never did grow grapes.

I'm sure if you do a Google search on Kenya, you'll find the official government site with a wealth of information relating to history, georgraphy, etc.