Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Need help with excess baggage check-in before proceeding to Zambia...

Need help with excess baggage check-in before proceeding to Zambia...

Feb 15th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Need help with excess baggage check-in before proceeding to Zambia...

I will be flying into JNB and then immediately to Lusaka, Zambia, after my 10 nights in Italy.

Now I know that JNB has a very good facility located in the basement where I can check in my baggage for numerous days. The challenge I have is that my current flight home only gives me 1 hour before connecting to my flight back to London Heathrow.

I will need to either check in my bags at a similar place in London Heathrow or is Lusaka. I wasn't really paying attention last year and don't remember if the Lusaka Airport has a baggage check in facility.

While I would like to travel lightly, I just don't think that my safari pants, safari shoes and safari hat would go over very well at either the Vatican or at an exclusive restaurant in Rome or Florence.

I may be able to get on an earlier flight to JNB, but that would give me a 4 hour layover instead of a 1 hour layover, and with the journey home already likely to take 30 hours, the last thing I want to do is prolong the agony.

I figure from the time I leave Chichele Presidential Lodge - Mfuwe - Lusaka - JNB will take close to 6 hours.

With a one hour layover and a 10 hour? flight to LHR, I am at 16 hours. Possibly a 2 hour layover in LHR plus an 11.5 hour flight to LAX puts me at 29.5 hours.

If I could get from my game lodge in South Luangwa to LAX in under 30 hours, I would go a little jig!

So, again, are there any baggage check-in facilities at LHR or Lusaka that anybody is aware of that will allow me to check in my baggage for about 12 days???

Thanks.
Feb 15th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

Excuse my bad math...I am at 30.5 hours and with customs, baggage claim and ride home from LAX, I am already at about 32.5 hours and not looking to make it 36 hours.
Feb 15th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Answer to my own question, courtey of:

http://www.airwise.com/airports/europe/LHR/LHR_08.html

All four terminals at Heathrow have Left Luggage desks. For security reasons there are no luggage lockers. Information line: (020) 8745 5301.

Terminal 1
Terminals 1's bag storage area is located on a mid floor between Arrivals and Departures. Access by stairs, lift/elevator or up-escalator.

Open 06:00 - 23:00. £4 per item per 24 hours.

Terminal 2
There is no Left Luggage facility on the Arrival/Departure level of Terminal 2. For bag storage go downstairs to the street level check-in area where it is located on the left end of the floor.

Open 06:00 - 22:30. £4 per item per 24 hours.

Terminal 3
The storage area at Terminal 3 is in the Arrivals building, there is no corresponding facility in the Departure building. It is located on the extreme right hand side of the Arrivals hall between Exits 1 & 2.

Open 05:30-22:30. £4 per item per 24 hours.

Terminal 4
Terminal 4's Left Luggage area is on the extreme left hand side of the street level Arrivals area.

Open 05:30 - 23:00. £4 per item per 24 hours.

Search this Thread