Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   need help please with seychelle itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/need-help-please-with-seychelle-itinerary-565197/)

cybor Oct 17th, 2005 06:13 PM

need help please with seychelle itinerary

Hi,
We'll be going on a 12 day Tanzanian safari starting Feb. 10, 06. After this we have a 1 night lay over in Nairobi and plan on staying at the Karen Blixen Cottages. We'll then fly to Mahe, Seychelles and do 2 overnights and then board a catamaran for 1 week and then overnight again in mahe before flying back to the states. My question is, can anyone recommend hotels to stay in that won't bust my budget, give us a taste of the Seychelles, be somewhat comfortable and not require huge time frames to get to food or what ever seeing that we'll then be traveling alot to get back home. Wonderful views are always a plus. I've already got some info. from past threads which have been helpful but lots of the places mentioned i.e. Bayan etc. are a little pricey for me. Also, I find that lots of the higher end hotels make me feel like I could have just stayed at any Western Hotel without leaving home. If you think it's easier and that we'll get more bang from the buck I'd consider staying at another island.

cybor Oct 17th, 2005 06:23 PM

woops hit the post. To continue - if any of you can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks;
Sherry

Patty Oct 19th, 2005 09:30 AM

ttt - Hope someone can answer your question!

cybor Oct 19th, 2005 10:00 AM

Hi Patty - Thanks,what's ttt? I read countless threads on this forum and none seem to answer my question. If anyone can help with a 2 night prior and a 2 night after the island hop on a catamaran, I will be most appreciative. One other question that seems to have come up - are you able to go on most beaches in Feb/March on Mahe due to the undertow etc.
Best;
Sherry
Sherry

Patty Oct 19th, 2005 10:42 AM

ttt = to the top :)

sandi Oct 19th, 2005 11:05 AM

If you're boarding the catamaran on Mahe, two days is way too short a time to visit another island. There are a number of small intimate hotels on Mahe that don't cost an arm-'n-leg. Check the following sites:

http://www.seychelles.com/
http://www.justseychelles.com

the first is the official tourism site.

We stayed at the Northholme a few years back, which has since been totally refurbished. It's the oldest hotel on the island, on a private beach of Glace. Breakfast is usually included, as is dinner, but we opted for B&B only. There are other hotels and restaurants nearby - a short taxi ride - if you wish to eat elsewhere. The hotel has it's own diver center and the rooms were quite comfortable.

And right up the road from the Northholme is Sunset Beach - caters mainly to honeymooners; also own private beach.

But check the site/s above and see if anything else strikes your fancy and fits your budget. Last I recall, there are two major tour operators on the islands - believe Seychelles Tourism Authority and Mason's. If I got those right, find their websites and work directly with them. But, who booked your catamaran, that they can't find a hotel for you?

NoFlyZone Oct 19th, 2005 11:23 AM

Sandi has good advice but the new Northolme looks to be way overpriced to me. Le Meridien Barbarons has completely renovated and is more reasonably priced. I like http://www.sey.net as a good reference site.

cybor Oct 19th, 2005 12:17 PM

Hi,
Thanks, Sandi and Flyzone - I'll check out those sites. I did go to the Northolme site previously and if I recall, they seemed to be very pricey 800.- 950. and up USD$. Unfortunetly, the catamaran was booked by a friend who owns a yacht charter company who books trips starting at 150,000. per week and up, she has a friend who works for a French cabin charter company who booked this as a favor(the French co. gig is strictly booking catamarans). Due to my yacht chartering friends usual high priced dealings, they could only recommend extremely high end places,anyhow. This is why I'd rather get suggestions from those who have been and know of good places that won't bankrupt me. This usually seems to be what happens to me - I opt to go to the places that the well to do seem to frequent - pretending that I belong - hey, maybe I belong and they don't. It seems like I'm always looking for a way around the 5 star places. I usually do better when self planning hotels, as some agents can only tell you what the brocure says, unless they've been there themselves. Have you stayed at the Meridien, Flyzone? Looks like the prices could be mid to high 200's. much more my speed.
Thanks again;
Sherry

NoFlyZone Oct 19th, 2005 01:27 PM

I stayed there ac ouple of years ago before they renovated. I thought the rooms were not in any need of renovation but they did it anyway! It was good then and should be better now.

cybor Oct 19th, 2005 02:03 PM

Thanks Noflyz. Can you recall any other particulars - beach, food -did you have to go far to eat or to get anywhere else - we'll probably mostly veg. but may want to eat elsewhere at times. Did you rent a car? I think the Meridien has a/c - Sandi said that that's a must in the Seychelles with the humidity.
Thanks;
Sherry

NoFlyZone Oct 19th, 2005 05:28 PM

There are no places near Barbarons to eat so I would say have you dinners there. You can always change that to a lunch should you decide to eat elsewhere. I don't think cars are necessary on Mahe as they are expensive and taxis have always ended up cost us less, and less hassle. As for A/C, I don't think there are any accommodations other than the very basic guest houses which are not A/C.

sandi Oct 20th, 2005 07:10 AM

Sherry -

Try the sites and agencies I mentioned. Maybe they can do something for you re a place to stay. I know we didn't pay anywhere $900 for our stay at Northholme and that may include Full Board (all meals). A/C is an absolute must and up until a few years ago, even some of the high-end places only had fans... guess that had no choice but to go with a/c when visitors, especially American's kept requesting this.

There are some small private guest houses which may have a/c, but only the agents here can advise. Do check them out.

If you have 2-days, you can rent a car - cute little red convertibles - to check out Mahe. You can stop at secluded beaches, eat at quaint restaurants. Easily done in a day... but have no idea the cost for the rental. There are petrol stations around the island, but be prepared for high petrol prices. Or once you decide on your hotel, they can arrange half or full day tours around the island.

There is bus service around the island into Mahe's main town Victoria. We stopped in Victoria on way from airport. Sent our driver on with the bags to the hotel. When finished in town, we walk to the open-air bus terminal, hopped the bus (no a/c, wooden seats, open windows, crowded thru the forest... though they may have since been somewhat modernized)? It was an experience, but hey "when in Rome.... "

Champagne tastes and Ripple budget!
I can understand well. But don't let this hold you back. Check further.

cybor Oct 21st, 2005 04:30 AM

Many thanks Sandi. Renting a car sounds like a good plan. One more question though, can you or anyone recall what the beaches are like on Mahe? It sounds as though some of the beaches aren't particularly swimmable and that others like the one advertised by The Plantation Hotel have snorkelling right there. Can you recall, Nofly, Sandi or anyone else what the beach is like at the Meridien?
Thanks;
Sherry

sandi Oct 21st, 2005 05:10 AM

Sherry -

I wish I could offer specifics - but being at the Northholme with it's private beach, we found this fine as, if I recall, was on the west side of the island (opposite the open ocean) and would think those beaches on the west would be calmer.

If you decide to rent a car... take your snorkel equipment and stop at whichever beach appeals; always keeping in mind there are no lifeguards nearby (if at all)... so safety is your responsibility.

Maybe others may have better details re the beaches and water/currents, etc.

Queenie Oct 21st, 2005 07:16 AM

Hi,
We actually chartered a catamaran out of Mahe in Feb/March of this year.

I can tell you that if the Meridien property is on the same side of the island as The Plantation, there is a wicked current running the entire length, and many areas have no beaches.

The Plantaion is in a cove, and protected. In fact we anchored there. We happened to catch a Dorado, and the staff at The Plantation prepared it for us. The beach there is pretty nice.

Do you have any access to the sailing charts yet? Ours showed where the various properties were and you could tell exactly if there was a beach. Perhaps you could simply email Le Meredien and ask them.

NoFlyZone Oct 21st, 2005 09:29 AM

Mahe has lots of great beaches, but swimmability varies depending on the time of year, because of the varying winds. Generally the beaches on the north and west side (like around Beau Vallon Bay, the Northholme, etc) are rougher in January through March or so.

But Le Meridien Barbarons is in a protected cove (similar to the Plantation Club but much smaller) so it is a little calmer all the time.

cybor Oct 21st, 2005 03:52 PM

Hi,
Thanks for the insights - all useful info. Again, this is stuff you just don't get from anyone else unless they've been there. I guess I'm mostly leaning toward the Meridien, particularly now that I know that it's in a little cove as nofly stated. Worse case senerio, we can if energy/money prevails, get a car/local bus and snorkle elsewhere as Sandi rec.
We're using Dream Yacht, Queeenie, and going this from Feb. 25 - March 3 - sounds like the same time as you + a year. I'd love to hear about your trip. As for the winds, it's actually so far been rather difficult for me to figure out the wind variations etc. i.e. North to northest, changing to a south to a southwest channel with head winds funneling from ....... No comprehende, too much over my head, I'm sorry to say. If I think too much about this stuff my brain hurts. I will however, do as you advised and see if I can find sail charts to see if I can figure it out - maybe I can possibly be enlightened.
Mucho Gras;
Sherry

Queenie Oct 22nd, 2005 03:17 AM

Hi Sherry,
I wrote a trip report here. I called it something like '2 weeks in Paradise'. I will try and find it for you.

We chartered with Sunsail, and visited many of the islands. Make sure you anchor in the harbor of La Digue - its a great place to spend the night and people watch.

And ask them about the tsunami - that entire harbor was drained during the event.