Need Help for Last 2 Days of DIY Desert Tour

Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Need Help for Last 2 Days of DIY Desert Tour

My husband and I will be arriving in Marrakesh at 4:45 pm on May 6th, and I have reservations at a Riad in the Medina for 2 nights. From there we will be heading out on a DIY to Erg Chebbi, picking up our rental car at the airport on May 8. Here's what I have planned thus far:

May 8 - Pick up rental and head east, overnighting in At Benhaddou
May 9 - Drive via N10/R702 to Merzouga, spending 2 nights in an Erg Chebbi desert camp

May 11 - Head towards Cascades d'Ouzoud
May 12 - Visit Cascades d'Ouzoud and overnight within 1 hour of Marrakesh airport
May 13 - Return rental at airport; catch 11:20 flight out

So, I'm looking for advice/assistance on where we should spend May 11th and May 12th. As an FYI, we would like to stay somewhere that has something of interest (landscape, water, historic buildings) to offer (not the lodging, but the nearby location). Lodging-wise, we're looking for something that is more luxury than bare bones.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 07:50 AM

I presume you are aware of the scenic approach to Ait Benhaddou by coming off the main N9 just after the Tizi (high point) of Tichka and taking the road via Telouet (Glaoui kasbah) and approaching Ait Benhaddou from the north. This will take longer but is great scenery.

The section to Erg Chebbi has a lot to see on the way. Camp camel treks leave before sunset, so you may find it more convenient to spend the first night in a hotel.

There's a huge number of hotels and accommodation close to Cascades d'Ouzoud, so that would be my choice for 11 May. The logical route back to Marrakech is via Demnate (short diversion to Imi n'Ifri), then R210 via Sidi Rahal. There's some nice hotels near Imi n'Ifri, but that's about two hours from Marrakech. Can't think of any I would recommend any closer (and same with the N8 route back to Marrakech).