Need help deciding about 4/5 nights in Zanzibar or area in February 09

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just starting to plan our trip (a little late I realize) - flights are confirmed on points which was the biggest challenge. (thank you Patty!)

In all we will be in Africa 5 weeks - right now the plan is:

- Arusha 3 nights upon arrival (3 nights due to flight timing for the next portion)
- Rwanda for 3 nights - VNP
- approx 10 nights - Ngorongoro, Tarangire, Serengetti - still finalizing itinerary and accommodation

We can end up in Dar and go onto Zanzibar for 4/5 nights before we go to the area south of Capetown (where we will rent an apartment for a week or so and then tour around including driving the Garden Route)

I have some concerns with the Zanzibar portion - any comments would be appreciated

- it's really hot in February - more to the point humid? - and we're not particularly sand/surf people. We never take a beach vacation. But I assume we'll be ready for a rest and it does looks beautiful.
- but....we do dive so that could take up the days when others might be lying on a beach - although again I think we might be looking for a rest? Snorkeling is fine too and less work than diving - we could consider one of the smaller outer islands as a dive/snorkel destination
- I read conflicting opinions about Stonetown - some say a short day trip is sufficient but it seems really interesting to me.

I wonder if we should just carry on to Capetown and relax there or if we'll regret missing Zanzibar..........any comments either way would be appreciated

(lots more posts to follow as our Tanzania itinerary shapes up)

Thanks as always

Liz
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM

Stonetown is very interesting and well worth wandering around the myriad of small streets. BUT the humidity is quite bad, very uncomfortable. Best thing is to dress cool but respectful, no short shorts or bikini tops but shorts and t-shirts are fine, carry a large bottle of cold water and a small hand towel to dry off and stop frequently for cold drinks and if it gets too bad stop in one of the air conditioned book stores, boutiques or Internet cafe's to cool down. Forget make up it will just melt off. Do go, it is a fascinating place.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Don't miss Zanzibar and don't miss the diving.. that's all I can say, Yvonne
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM

I've always ended my Tanzania safaris with a stay on Zanzibar. I wouldn't consider myself a "beach person" either, but it's SO NICE to crawl into a hammock under a palm tree next to the ocean with a good book after having bounced around on safari. I was a diver in my past life, as well, but have just snorkeled when on Zanzibar. It's always warm and humid on Zanzibar, but you get the ocean breezes when you're at a beach resort on the eastern side of the island...not unpleasant at all. Some properties have AC, if that's important to you. Shooting Star has AC, but there are other places more aligned to divers around Matemwe.

Spend a night in Stone Town and take a tour of the place. It's really fascinating. I stay at Tembo House, but the Serena is the fanciest place in town. Depending on your flights schedules, you could put a Stone Town stay at the beginning or end of your Zanzibar trip.
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments - I've done some other research and with these comments as well we've decided that we'll really enjoy Zanzibar. Definitely plan to stay in Stonetown and then elsewhere to snorkel/dive (everytime we say we're not going to dive we inevitably do and are happy to have done so....so we'll be diving!)

Had lunch today with a business associate who does a lot of work in Africa (UN/Unicef) and he has sent me off to look at Swaziland and Mozambique as part of planning for our remaining 3 weeks....................................

More questions to follow - thanks again!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Elizabeth,

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel, north end of the island, in March. Though our room was air conditioned it was VERY hot and humid - high 90's for both all three days. We were dyin'!

While I'm glad I got to visit the island and swim in the Indian Ocean (long held dreams of mine) I would have been just as happy to do this on a day trip or just one overnight and spend the extra time on safari since it was so stinkin' hot and humid.

So, if you can handle that kind of heat and humidity, go for it. If not, you should re-consider the length of time you spend there.

Sounds like you have an amazing trip shaping up. I wish you all the best.

-doo
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Elizabeth,
We too were considering Zanzibar in late January (but have finally decided on Mauritius instead - less humid at that time of the year I am told). We considered Mozambique, but my guide book says "wet summer season from about December / January through to about April when the heavy rains come and everything gets unpleasantly soggy". Happy planning!
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks doo and PRLCH - still deciding - have been looking at Mozambique but read the same thing you did.

Still deciding, I guess.
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM

We were in Zanzibar in late Feb. 2008 and loved it. At Pongwe (without air) the temp was just perfect and there is almost always a sea breeze. Some evenings were cool enough to consider pants with my flip flops. The generators and ceiling fans go off from 4am to 6am and it does feel a little warm then. That is also when the breeze disappears. We liked it so much that last year we stayed 4 nights and next Feb. we have booked 7 nights. I'm a beach person but there was too much to do to spend much time lounging. We kayaked, walked the beach and explored the seaweed farms.

We stayed 1 night in Stonetown and it was MUCH hotter and air was required. No sea breezes either. I loved the town but next year we will stay at the beach and daytrip to Stonetown.

FYI - I took these polar neck tie things that you soak in water that keep you cool for hours. They are feather-weight to pack but plump and take on a fair bit of water after soaking.
http://www.polar-products.com/index....p;product_id=4
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 11:20 AM

We did a three-month trip between Kili and cape Town earlier this year. After the Kili climb and before the safari, we spent five nights in Zanzibar and it was a big disappointment. We have spent lots of time in the Caribbean so the nice beaches on the east side were no big deal. Plus a lady in our hotel got mugged and relieved of all her valuables cycling down the beach one morning.

Stonetown is like many other Mioddle-east towns except unlike Damascus, Yaz, and Tripoli, there is not an adventure around every corner. Once you have spent an hour there, you have done it.

Conversely, we only had two weeks in the Cape, spending them in Stellenbosch, Simons Town and Cape Town. I would have gone for another week absolutely!

We went through eight countries between Kili and Cape Town. Zanzibar was at the bottom of our trip experience scale.

Nigel
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Lots of differing opinions - waiting for my quote so that might make the decision for me!

Nigel - we're going on to 2-3 weeks in and around Capetown, Wine area, Garden Route etc - will probably rent an apartment in Simons Town - did you like that area?
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
bat

I agree with wildlifepainter. We enjoyed our time in Zanzibar post-safari. At the beach (Matemwe Bungalows) the breeze kept us cool except for a couple of hours during the night when the fan was fine. In Stonetown we definitely felt the need for AC to sleep.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM

We just returned from safari 3 weeks ago and ended our trip in Zanzibar. We stayed in Stone Town at the Zanzibar Palace hotel and loved it!

The staff was great and the rooms were very nicely decorated. There is AC in the rooms which helps a lot. Google the name and you'll find their website. I'll be posting a trip report in the near future which will have a few pictures of our room ("Arabica&quot.