Need help decide bewteen Kariega or Kruger

Jul 13th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Need help decide bewteen Kariega or Kruger

My friend and I are doing a cage shark diving with APEX from 8/21-28. We are planning to stay a couple days after to do a safari (plan to depart 9/1). Our tour will end in Mossel Bay on 28th. We can either go back to CapeTown with the group or start our own advanture.

We were recommended to drive to Kariega for our Big 5 or join the tour group back to CapeTown and fly to Hoedspruit for Kurger.

Because we only have three full days, 28th evening to 1st, we are not sure if we should go to Kurger. We know that it is bigger and probably better park to visit but considering budget and time, Keriega might be a better idea.

Help me and my friend decide please. We are newbie to SA but we cant wait for our trip.
Jul 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM

How long will it take you to get to Kruger? And then do you have to get back to CT for return flight? I don't think you have enough time for Kruger/Kurger. One/two days there is not worth traveling a day each way.

regards - tom
Jul 14th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Because our last leg of the trip end at Mossel Bay, it will take about 6 hrs to get back to CT. Then flight to Johannesburg then to Hoedspruit. On the way back, we probably will fly out of Hoedspruit to Johannesburg and back to US.
Jul 14th, 2012, 09:47 AM

Again, chart/outline the time line over days for going to Kruger. Each transfer, each flight, each drive, each segment - for both directions. Sounds nice "... back to CT. Then flight to Johannesburg then to Hoedspruit." Simple, easy but will that will probable take you better part of two days. What time are flights from JNB to HDS on SAA? Only in the morning so you will overnight at JNB. Unless you have the $$$$ to hire a charter flight. Try Federal Air SA -
http://www.fedair.com/Maps/southern-africa-route-map
Getting back from HDS to JNB and for home flight will be easier but still take most of the day. SAA leaves HDS to JNB in late morning and early afternoon.

I would not even think about it unless you have 5 extra days to play with. You want minimum three days on safari. And you want it not in Kruger NP but in a camp in the Sabi Sand reserve next to Kruger. A camp like MalaMala -
http://www.malamala.com/

regards - tom

Search this Thread