Need advice for Turkey Trip!!

Apr 17th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Cheryl

Need advice for Turkey Trip!!

i'm planning a 12 day trip to turkey for this coming early june. i'm interested in spending several days in istanbul and then heading down to the aegean and mediterreanean coasts. my plan is to fly to either bodrum and kusadasi and from there do day trips to ephesus, pamukkale, and didyma. which is a better place to make as my home base - bodrum or kusadasi? i know both are touristy, but which is less so? which has nicer beaches in case i'd like to save a day to relax? is it convenient to do these day trips from bodrum? how convenient is it to fly into bodrum or kusadasi from istanbul? should i buy my airlines tickets before leaving the u.s.? how much should i expect to pay?
from bodrum or kusadasi, i plan to head to Fethiye and spend the rest of my trip (~4 days) doing day trips to Dalyan, Oludeniz, Kekova and Patara Beach. my goal during this part of the trip is to mainly enjoy the coast and beaches. is it advisable to rent a car to get around in this region? from the mediterranean, what is the best way to get back to istanbul if we have limited time?
also any recommendations for moderate, clean hotels would be appreciated! should i make reservations before leaving the u.s.?
thanks for any help or input!!!

Apr 27th, 2002, 03:42 PM
isa

12 days might be a bit short but if you fly...(for fares, see www.turkishairlines.com)

I would say that Kusadasi or Selçuk are good base points to visit Ephesus and Pamukkale. Then take the bus to Didyma and sleep there before heading to the Med coast.
If you like nightlife and crowd go to Bodrum, if not you can skip it. It really depends on your interest. (It is the same for Marmaris.)

Regarding the Med coast (the most interesting part is between Fethiye and Antalya), you can go from one place to another by bus. Of course you will be more independant if you can rent a car.

For an overview of the region, have a look at our hotel website :
http://davrazia.free.fr

The quickest way from Antalya to Istanbul is the plane (Turkish Airlines, see above website).

Feel free to ask more info.

Isabelle
http://davrazia.free.fr

Apr 28th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Susan

We were in the Mediterranean area in September 2000. It was beautiful! We had taken a ferry from Rhodes to Marmaris and we travelled south and stayed in Fethiye (2 nights), Kalkan (4 nights) and Olu Deniz (1 night). I especially liked Kalkan - really pretty town.

We had no trouble taking buses in that area. Very convenient. We hadn't booked any hotels in advance and found clean inexpensive places very easily. In Kalkan, we stayed at a pension called Daphne - the rooftop restaurant was wonderful, and the pension was quite nice as well.

Jun 7th, 2002, 12:59 AM
delphin

Try europe then select Turkey
You'll find all answers to your questions

Search this Thread