Need advice for trip to Turkey March 1st

Feb 6th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Rich

Need advice for trip to Turkey March 1st

My girlfriend and I will be heading to Turky on March 1st and need some advice. We will be staying in Istanbul for 3 days and then heading to Izmir and Kusadasi what should I expect to pay for airfare from istanbul, also will it be hard to get from the airport to the different areas (Ephesus, etc.) or should we try and hire a guide?

Feb 6th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Mandy

Hi Rich,
I can't help you with your question but I suggest you post this question on Europe forum. As you know a part of Turkey is in Europe. Also do the text search under Turkey on European Forum. Good luck and have a great time. Let us know when you return. We are thinking about going there in the end of this year.

Feb 24th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Leann

Rich, my husband and I toured Turky in May of last year. We did a 14 day tour starting in Istanbul and visiting 12 other cities including Ephesus. Turky has some of the most beautiful archaeological sites you can imagine. Ephesu was spectacular! The traffic there is hectic and driving there is nothing, I repeat, nothing like in the US. Hiring a driver or doing a tour will save you alot of stress. You picked a beautiful place but it will be a bit chilly and windy so go prepared. Have a wonderful trip.

Feb 28th, 2001, 06:31 AM
g w biemuller

Hi Rich.
I was in Turkey last year with my daughter for a few weeks. She was in school in NC with a couple of denizens from Istanbul so we went to visit them on their summer vacation. You should get to Capadochia if you have the opportunity. There is a great B & B there run by a french couple. Marco the owner took out the house guests each day for a nature walk in different locales throughout the area. He was great although he did not speak English. If you go there be sure to visit love valley and if you can drive south to the eternal flame. Be extremely careful with the taxi drivers in Istanbul. The currency uses 10 million denominations in bills and they expert at taking a 10M from you and saying I am sorry sir you only gave me 10,000 bill and with slight of hand show you what you know you did lnot give them. They will actually take the money out of your hand before you count it and rip yhou off this way too. This may sound like it is easy to avoid but when you are counting out taxi fares in the 10's of millions and you are dealing with notes that have many 0's on them it is easy to get confused. Count out your money where they cannot grab it double check it with them where they can see it and not take it from you then hand it to them. We were ripped off twice out of about 30 taxi rides so it pays to be vigilent. Have fun

Search this Thread