Help! Rookie Travler Planning a Short Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! After browsing these forum posts it is apparent that YOU ALL are amazing travelers. I will be volunteering for a month in Rwanda and would like to add on a short safari. After researching travel companies on the internet I am overwhelmed!!! I am travelling alone and on a budget!!! Where should I start? I am thinking just Tanzania since I will be starting near there in Kigali, Rwanda. I could add up to 7 days. Currently my plan is to fly into and out of Kigali. (Finding that airfare is overwhelming too!)

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!
Jody
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take it you plan to go to Parc National des Volcans in Rwanda to for gorilla trekking? It is expensive but very worth it. Don't miss the experience while you're in-country.

Have you searched for trip reports here? You might also want to take a look at safaritalk.net.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might also want to check the Rwanda forum on tripadvisor. There is a poster there who is living in Rwanda (sarahfromrwanda, I think?).

In terms of a Tanzanian safari, well, it's hard to call them inexpensive, at least in my experience, but what time of year will this trip take place? Where and when you go will affect prices.
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 04:44 PM

If possible do the gorilla visit while in Rwanda. Parc National des Volcans is about a 2.5 hour drive from Kigali. You could do that on a weekend, but be sure you have purchased your gorilla permit in advance.

One week would give you a nice safari in Tanzania.

The first place I'd check for info in your situation is with the group that oversees your volunteering. They've probably had similar questions and may have guides/safari companies they regularly use. You might be able to team up with some other volunteers to share the expenses.

Please let us know your time frame for more advice. Good luck.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Will look for the Rwanda girl Sarah. My trip is in July 2012. Looked at the Gorilla park... CRAZY expensive. I am a public school teacher, no excuses but that may be out of my league. I will have a bout $1500.
I certainly appreciate this forum!
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 12:05 PM

With a very tight budget you are limited - where and for how long.

Even if you wished to go to Tanzania and do a basic camping itinerary, unless you can hook up with a group, transport from KGL into Tanzania (whichever border) with driving being the least expensive, there's a $100 Visa fee, also a Yellow Fever inoc needed for entry. And, doing so by air will eat up the budget.

Don't give up on Rwanda, and though the permits are expensive, it's possible as a volunteer, there might be a break in the cost... maybe the 'resident' fee. And, lodging in/near the park can be the least expensive (though clean and with descent food). So DO ASK (beg, if you have to and always smile, when doing so)

And while you won't find the 'safari experience' as that in Tanzania, which prices in this peak season are at the highest, there are other gaming experiences in Rwanda.

As I haven't been, others who have, I'm sure will have ideas for you. Good luck!
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM

I ran into quite a few volunteers who did a safari in Akagera in Rwanda, some stayed only a single night and still enjoyed their time. Though the predators and elephants are present, it is tough to see them. Great boat rides. It is about 2.5 hours from Kigali.

Here is an album of 27 photos of Akagera, including 4 of birds on the road to/from Akagera. Photo #1 and the last 4 photos are taken at Akagera Lodge.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/...09%3A466012581
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:52 PM

Lynn, thank you for your photos. Especially loved the bird photos with labels. I think too many safari-goers do not tell their guides they are interested in birds and so they miss an important part of the their safari.
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 07:26 PM

You are welcome Elainee.