Nationwide or Kulula Airlines?

Apr 29th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Nationwide or Kulula Airlines?

I'm looking to fly from Jo'Burg to Capetown one-way in July. After looking at all the domestic airlines, Nationwide Airlines and Kulula.com Airlines are by FAR the cheapest. SAA and British Airways are over twice as much.

Has anybody flown on either Nationwide or Kulula? Are they safe, reputable airlines? Is one better than the other?
Apr 29th, 2004, 07:20 PM
dlm

I recently flew on Nationwide from Jo'burg to Livingstone, Zambia. It was on an old-looking 737. Everything went smoothly. We left/arrived on time. As to safety -- how to judge this? It was roughly the same experience I've had on every other airline I've ever been on. It seemed no less safe than any other airline, although the places are older than are flown in the US commercially.
Apr 29th, 2004, 07:21 PM
dlm

sorry -- "places" should be "planes." I should proofread before posting.
Apr 29th, 2004, 10:33 PM

Nationwide is a well-established airline, and from others' accounts reliable. (If I have flown them, it hasn't been for several years.) They have been running as a scheduled airline (previously a charter service) for almost ten years, and recently started a Jo'burg/Gatwick route.

Kulula is a "no frills" airline. (Buy your own drinks and sandwiches, I think perhaps even "find your own seat". But I'm not sure about the latter, I have flown them once I think but quite a while ago.) They are run by the local BA franchise, Comair, so have that backing.

There is also a new no-frills airline that has started up this year, 1Time. Their website is www.1time.aero
May 9th, 2004, 01:09 AM

I flew with Kulula last year from Cape Town to Jo'burg and the flight was fine. We did have allocated seats.

Search this Thread