National Georgraphic - Migrations

Old Nov 7th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

National Georgraphic - Migrations

Starting tonight, Sunday 7th November, National Geo is presenting Migrations. Whether butterflies, bats, fish... I'm sure the wildies will be in there too. Each segment is 1/hr. Tonight will be two different species with the others following in the next weeks.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM

I don't know about all you folks, but I'm starting to get seriously disappointed with wildlife series these days.

Seems there's basically two types now:

1) The going-to-extremes type. Shows where every animal seems determined to make human victims. Shows that focus on dangerous animals. Shows of people putting themselves in danger by interacting with dangerous animals. And so on. I've seen enough snake venom for the rest of my life by now.

2) The over-the-top type. Where the makers are predetermined to show nature at it's best. Animals surviving in the most beautiful (yet extreme) landscapes. Footage captured with the most strange and expensive equipment. Etc. This last type of "show" also includes all that "migrations" stuff.

I've seen part of it yesterday. AGAIN the Mara, and AGAIN the over-dramatizing. Sometimes even plain lies, just to make the program extra entertaining. I mean, for crying out loud: a croc has a brain as big as a walnut and reacts purely on instinct, so NO it is NOT actively planning to go to the best spot in the Mara with the intent of feasting on wildebeest.

How about giving us simple and honest programs? A show that learns us all about just one animal. And no, it does not need to be a predator. Or a show that focuses on one region and learns us all about fauna and flora there. And no, it does not need to be the African savanna every time.

End rant, as they say

B.regs,

J.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

I didn't watch last evening (I'm sure these will be repeated) but based on the migration of the various game mentioned, they won't all be the African savannah... certainly not the butterflies, nor fish or crabs.

And, while some of these programs may seem "over-the-top" for some viewers who themselves have experienced a migration or two, most viewers will never have the opportunity themselves... so the programs serve a purpose.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM

The latest Nat Geo mag has similar content.

I share some of your ranting, PixelPower. Those walnut brained crocs missed out on thousands upon thousands of wildes that crossed during my last visit, to the good fortune of the wildebeest. Maybe they were just full.

When the new migration program was being advertised on TV and I saw all the bats swarming, I complained to my husband, "Oh no, I bet they are showing the Kasanka, Zambia bat migration. With all this publicity now everybody will be flocking there about the time I'm able to arrange a trip."

His reply was, "I wouldn't worry about that, dear."

Maybe the world is not as enamoured with skies blackened by bats as I am.

To respond to the "simple" and "honest" programs PixelPower yearns for, Nat Geo is up against Pit Bulls and Paroles, World Wrestling Entertainment Smackdown, Bad Girls (almost like a smackdown), When Animals Attack, and all those video games with rape, pillaging, and decapitation. Not to mention 15 second attention spans of viewers. End of my rant, as they say.

Hope it is a nice program, though.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 09:20 AM

I watched it last night and it was really good. Penguins, whales, butterflies, crabs. The patience of Nat Geo is amazing - the crab part was so interesting, as it only happens every few years. It was well done, IMO.

Migrations are all about survival of the majority, so I don't know how you take the predator out of the equation.

This series is not meant to compete with When Animals Attack. If it is, it will fail miserably.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM

We watched it last night and enjoyed it. Looking forward to more.

regards - tom
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM

We watched it and agree with the above. First rate photography and lots of emotional overkill. But who among us doesn't thrill at a view of the Mara, the plains around Ndutu, a balinites in a sea of golden grass, or (always my favorite) the night sounds of East Africa.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 10:06 AM

My DH and I watched the first two in the series last night. While some of the footage was excellent, we were disappointed overall. We thought the narrative was poor - not particularly scientific, and the producers chose to jump from one migration to the next and then back again, for no other reason it seemed than to prevent us from becoming bored. Frankly, it was annoying! Robin
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 04:59 PM

My husband and I watched the Nat Geo program last night, and on the whole, we enjoyed it. We had just finally booked our trip to Kenya for early next September to hopefully see the migration; so we were especially excited!