Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Back from 11 nights Zambia, Lions mating, leopard stalking etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back, Highlights were, the Lions mating in midday, we were 15 feet away, they had sex 3 times in less than 30 minutes, there was not romance, great video. Leopard stalking impala at sunset out in the open, watched for 45 minutes, no catch, but he came within 3 feet of land rover and I thought he might jump in!. Elephant river crossing at sunset in South Luangwa we counted 111 elephants, of all ages we were parked 20 feet from where they exit the river it was awesome.Low points luggage lost on way there, never received until leaving out of JNB on way home, then lost again when arrived in San Francisco, Luckily my luggage was carryon so I shared with my mother. I will write a trip report soon.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:37 AM

Glad you're back safely, even if the luggage is not. Sounds like a great trip.... Looking forward to the trip report!

Where did you stay?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:55 AM

Welcome back sandy! Looking forward to your trip report as I will be staying at some of the same places as you...leaving in 26 days!!
Dennis
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:23 AM

Hi
where did u go in South Luangwa as I am off in a few days and realy would like a lowdown on Luangwa River Lodge and Stanley as thats where I am going....I booked late so havent had much time to do any homework?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi , I stayed 2 night Stanley, 3 nights Kasaka river lodge, 2 nights Chikoko bush camp, 4 night Luangwa River Lodge. All were great places. Like I said no animals at stanley, but beautiful rooms and great service, food just average, but very nice pool. Kasaka located on the river, river was great, definately get morat to take you on canoe safari for half a day, you need to arrange ahead of time, email esther at the lodge and tell her you want to arrange if going there it cost $10, also game viewing in park was fun with burt, we were always the only other vehicle there as far as I could tell in the park, however much less game than in South Luangwa park. Chikoko was all walking, many animals, but unable to get close need good binocs. My favorite location for game was Luangwa river lodge. beautiful setting rooms awesome, food was the best here. Barry was a great host Tara his wife was out of the country. The guides are friendly. Many animals to be seen in the park and you are able to get very close, you will see other vehicles on all of your game drives, but it was worth it to see the game. There are wild animals all around the lodge, a lion killed a puku in front of chalet 5 while we were there, Elephant visit frequently, hippo eat the sausages from the tree, others spotted two lionesses with cubs on road next to camp, many types of birds, owls and creatures. Did have a large hairy spider in room, and lots of flying bugs, but the atmosphere and gaming viewing were excellent. Lodge has permanent electricity, so recharging not a problem also has a hairdryer and fans if its hot. At Luangwa they also offer walking safari's in the park if you ask they will take you, and if you want an all day safari with picnic they will do that too and then skip the night drive that night. Ask to have sundowners near elephant river crossing it is remarkable. All drives start at 6 am return about 10:30 am Brunch at 11am. Tea at 3:30pm night drive at 4:00pm to 8:30 pm then dinner when you return. Have fun.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:07 AM

Welcome back, sounds like a good trip overall. Any piccies? Looking forward to the full report!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 12:13 PM

How was Chikoko? THanks!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:51 PM

111 elephants--Wow! And a leopard in action!

Good thing Mom and you could share luggage. I have become so untrusting of any airline with my checked luggage, which gets lost for me about 5% of the time.

Glad you had a great trip.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM

Sandy,

Welcome home. Wow, too bad I never made it a point to be at the sunset river crossing while I was at Luangwa River Lodge. Quite honestly, I was burned out on elephants after my time at Chongwe River Camp where we probably saw a minimum of 250 elephants per day while out on our game drives, as well as having them constantly in camp.

Lions within the lodge area at Luangwa River Lodge seems to be a common occurence. Barry had told me that there was a pride of lions right under the suite (#3, I believe) I was in just a couple days prior to my arrival.

September is without a doubt a wonderful time for gameviewing in Zambia, whether Lower Zambezi or South Luangwa.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:27 AM

sandy,

Any plans for a photo album? Please???
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, please, pictures...

Oh, and it must be the season... http://home.comcast.net/~gardyloo2/825JS%20066.jpg
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Gardyloo,

Who needs overhead mirrors when there is a good watering hole around?
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
My caption is, "Can't a girl just have a quiet drink without getting hit on?"