Namibia trip in Dec.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Namibia trip in Dec.

Need a bit of help with camps-I love the Wilderness camps but find the total of staying at all there camps just to much-[need to bring the price down] I don't want to give up Serra Cafema/himba people. Going to Sossuvlei, etosha,Skelton coast,Damaraland. What are the really good/small LUX-camps but cheaper than Wilderness? HELP! Thomas
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Here are few camps that look cool to me -not sure of rates. Okonjima, Mwani, Onguma, Sossusvlei lodge,Epacha game lodge.These are ones I was thinking of to bring the costs down some-what do you think-any others -haven't been to Namibia before and LOVE to take pictures.-thomas
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:39 AM
DJE

iggy5858,

if you are referring to Mowani Mtn. Camp in Damaraland, it is lovely and has some of the most amazing vistas. We also stayed in Onguma but it was at their newer tented camp location however the Bush Camp is less expensive and in the same general area. I think these properties belong to Visions of Africa.

We did a 3 and a half week trip in June '06 and stayed in a variety of camps and lodges belonging to WS, CCAfrica and the 2 Visions locations.

We were in all of the areas you wish to visit and it is a truly spectacular country with such wonderful and diverse scenery. We did 2 and a half weeks of self drive and finished with the fly ins to Skeleton Coast Camp and Serra Cafema. A great way to end a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

What was Serra Cafema like and what did you see there? thanks so much- thomas
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:30 PM
DJE

thomas,

The location of Serra Cafema is quite special as it is located in the far north on the Kunene River which borders on Angola. A very remote area.

You will see some wonderful sand dunes again but different in color from the reddish dunes of Sossussvlei and of course the camp is by the river so offers a completely different feel to it than you will experience at your other locations.

You will be able to do quad biking in the area as well as some activities on the river (keep an eye open for crocodile) and of course a visit to the Himba people. As much as we did enjoy seeing and photographing the himbas we did feel that it was rather intrusive on our part but of course this did not dissuade me from clicking away with my camera.

Of note, there you will see the real himba people and not the staged version that might be seen at various spots in the country.

My major disappointment was that on our return trip home our luggage was broken into (Jo'burg) and my handcrafted souvenirs from the himba people were pilfered from the case... I wish they taken my clothes instead!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM

We spent 10 days at Serra Cafema last year and DJE has summed it up well. A few other things:

1. You will see both Namibian Himbas and Angolan Himbas locally called Chimbas. The contrast between them is interesting.

2. There is some good birding around the lodge. The reed warbler has a lovely song.

3. You can walk from the lodge if you want, either with a guide or on your own (just stay 15 ft from the river).
We saw our only dassie rat on one walk.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.ed...s_typicus.html

Rather cute in person.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM

I can't help to tell you which camps are actually really good, but I recently had to scout out most of the places you mention looking for backups bacuase most of our Namibia itinerary was waitlisted, so I'll share the little I learned.

Sossusvlei Lodge, Okonjima and Onguma (if the tented camps) may not in reality work out significantly cheaper than Wilderness properties, especially once you cost in everything that is included in the Wilderness prices, take into account locations, etc. I think Epacha is bigger (30+ rooms?) and is priced similar to Wilderness properties.

Not sure if you are thinking this anyway, but there are DB&B rates for Ongova. If you were budgeting based on fully inclusive rates, it would save quite a bit if you are willing to self-drive in Etosha; and provided the focus of your stay there is Etosha rather than Ongava itself, you shouldn't necessarily miss out too much by doing that (IN THEORY!). Kulala also has DB&B rates. Okonjima has them too, but the activities appears to be the reason to go there, so not sure if that would make any sense, since I'd aimage you would have limited access self-driving.

Onguma and Okonjima have slightly less luxurious, non-tented options in separate locations, but from what you say that might not be what you are looking for.

Probably pointless to mention it since you appear set, but if Wilderness is stretching your budget, wouldn't a lot of that be on Serra Cafema, which requires a plane charter? Exploring Kakaoland from the south up might be less expensive, or Epupa Camp is apparently drivable if you have 4WD. It certainly looks like good value.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:01 AM

The Cardboard Box travel shop website is a really useful planning tool for Namibia - loads of lodges listed geographically, including rates. Makes it very easy to compare lodges, prices, etc. www.namibian.org

If you'd rather deal with human beings than a website, the Cardboard Box staff are extremely helpful and great at dealing with queries and helping with itineraries.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM

I can second the helpfulness, promptness, and thoroughness of Cardboard Box.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Third the helpfulness of Cardboard Box, but with the reservation that they didn't always 'listen' very carefully to me when I was making my very initial inquiries. Just a blip? Second the Web site recommendation.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:24 PM
DJE

Agree with others recommendations for Cardboard Box as a very good reference site for gathering information. I didn't use them as a booking agent but certainly found the site extremely useful for the planning of our trip.