My itinerary - arriving August 1, 2007
2 nights in Nairobi
1 night Sweetwaters
2 nights Samburu Intrepids
1 night Serena Mountain Lodge
1 night Lion Hill Lodge in Lake Nakuru
3 nights Mara Serena
2 nights Little Governors

Should I add one night to the Lion Hill Lodge and take one night away from the Mara Serena? That way I can use the extra day in Lake Nakuru to rest up. We have never been to Africa, don't want to get burned out on game drives. Is it possible to get burned out?

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Pat
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would reduce Nairobi by a night rather than losing a night in the Mara, because I agree a second night at Lake Nakuru is most worthwhile.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Mkhonzo,

Appreciate your feedback, but... we are arriving Nairobi late on August 1, and we have a full day planned for the 2nd day; Animal Orphanage, Safari walk, 11am Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, Lunch at the Carnivore, Giraffe Center. So that is not an option.

What should I do???? I think most likely either way will be fine, but I am still so excited about the trip even though I sent in my deposit already. Reading the board is giving me new ideas....

Pat
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Personally, if you are not willing to give up 1 night in Nairobi -- and I do not blame you -- I am doing the same thing when I arrive in December, then I would keep the itinerary as it stands. We were on safari last year in South Africa and after having numerous 1 or 2 night stays at places, I welcomed the one and only 3 night stay. I was exhausted in a good way, but needed to rest and feel okay about missing a game drive. Good luck.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:21 PM

oh to have such a tough choice Enjoy either way but... I hate to see you lose a night in the Mara.

However, staying at Lion Hill in Nakuru for a second night will be worth it. And you will get to rest up a bit.

I don't think you can get burned out on game drives, but you can get burned out on driving between parks & staying just one night anyplace is rough.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:42 PM

I would minus 1 Serena Mountain and add 1 to Nakuru as you suggest because I like Nakuru and I believe it has improved since I was there. I've never been to Serena Mountain Lodge so I don't know what I'm suggesting you give up. Three 1-nighters is a lot of them.

I'd keep the 5 nights in the Mara in August. The extra time there makes your itinerary exceptional.

I have never gotten burned out on game drives because even if you go the exact same route many times nature provides something different each time.

Any of these suggestions will result in a good trip. Have a great time.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies, but on further thoughts it sounds like it might be best to leave the itinerary as it is.

Appreciate the input, might post more questions as I continue to read the trip reports ;-)

Pat
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Lynn,
What about skipping the Sweeetwater instead of Mount Serena? Initially, I added the Sweetwater to break up the drive from Nairobi to Samburu and for the night game drive. But I can stay in Mount Serena instead of Sweetwaters,and drive directly from Samburu to Lake Nakuru. How long a drive is that? I want to keep the Mount Serena to have the salt lick experience. I heard that the Mara Serena is offering night game drive now, anyone know anything about it?

Pat
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:28 PM

If you drive directly from Samburu to Nakuru, I think it'll take at least 6 hours. You're correct that Mara Serena is offering night drives now. Other than that, I don't know anything about it.

I'm one of those who doesn't like to go on vehicle game drives all of the time. I try to schedule my safaris so that there's a mix of activities. And I don't mind skipping a game drive or two, particularly if I'm staying at a camp where I can see game from my tent.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Then skipping Sweetwaters may be a good idea. I have not been there. They have a chimp sanctuary that offers a rare opportunity to see these creatures. But the chimps are not wild, having been rescued. Also a good chance for rhinos and night drives at Sweetwaters.

Samburu-Nakuru drive times?? Good question. I've seen itineraries that go Samburu Nakuru or vice versa. I'm sure your agent could tell you if no one here knows.

As for resting up, you do bounce around a lot in the vehicle, but your safari should not be at all physically demanding. You will likely get up early, but there is nothing going on at night so retiring early is easy. After lunch/brunch there is usually time for a nap as well.

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

How does this look?
2 nights Nairobi, fly to Samburu
2 nights Samburu Intrepids
1 night Mt. Serena
2 nights Lion Hill Lodge
3 nights Mara Serena
2 nights Little Governors

This itinerary looks cleaner, only one one nighter.

Is the flight from Nairobi Wilson to Samburu a charter flight or a regular scheuduled flight? The flight will take care of the problem of the long drive, unless the price is outrageous.

Do you think my tour operator will be upset of the change? Serah will have to move the dates for Samburu Intrepids and Mt. Serena.

Pat

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM

The flight to Samburu is a scheduled one and if I'm not mistaken, the cost is comparable to the Nairobi-Mara flight. I believe the Samburu flights are in the morning, so they may need to send their vehicle and guide a day ahead in order to meet you on arrival. I'm guessing that's how they would arrange it, unless you decide to take your game drives with the camp. It does cut down on a lot of driving and 1 nighters. I wouldn't worry about making changes. It's your safari!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patty, found a flight on Air Kenya for $129 one way, leaving Nairobi Wilson at 9:15am, arriving Samburu at 10:30am. I will send my request to Serah.

Pat
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 03:58 AM
sandi

At Patty mentions and since the balance of your safari is a "drive" safari, your outfitter will have to charge you for your guide to meet you at Samburu. Once here, your guide/vehicle will be handled your game drives and other activities.

If you choose to use the Samburu guide/vehicles, this will be shared with other guests and your pricing at Intrepid's will be on a Game Package (GP) basis, which is higher than a FB basis.

Then, if you choose the GP, you can have your guide meet you at Intrepid's upon concluding time at Samburu on your way south - and still the cost of having the guide/vehicle to meet you.

With 5/nts in the Mara, and in order not to incur additional costs, I'd eliminate 1/nt at Serena and add the night to Nakuru (which is probably less in price than the Serena at Mara).

And, if not flying, your weight limits for light aircraft aren't impacted. Though planning return flight from the Mara, your overweight luggage won't be as much an issue.

This way, you'll still have the "salt-lick" experience, the chimps and rhino for Nicki at Sweetwaters (and break up long drive), enjoy Nakuru without having to rush out... and still have 4/days in the Mara.

Just another 2-cents.

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Dear Sandi,

I am trying to understand this, please help me.

I don't understand the part about ESS charging extra for the car/driver to meet us in Samburu if we fly to Samburu instead of driving. Wouldn't the car/driver have to drive there anyways since we booked the private safari with them? If we get there before the ESS driver, we should only have to pay for someone to pick us up at Samburu airport and take us to the Intrepids, we can then have lunch and relax until the ESS driver get there.

Do things work differently on the safari?

Pat
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM
sandi

But you're adding to your costs with the airfare to fly (about $450-$500). And still paying for the guide/driver & vehicle. Whether he meets you at Samburu when you arrive at about 9:30-10am (not likely that he'll be there at that time... may actually have to depart the day prior). Though they indicate it's a 4/hr drive from NBO to Samburu, it often takes much longer. Or meets you after Samburu, be certain that for what you may eliminate and the costs, aren't eaten up by what you add.

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Pat,
The scenario I had envisioned was that your ESS guide would meet you at the airstrip on arrival (thus needing to go a day ahead). However, I think what you described may work too. In that case, the only extra cost may be the flight and transfer to camp. Ask Serah if that would work.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi and Patty.

I will e-mail Serah and ask her to quote the different options. It is Friday night in Kenya now, probably won't receive an answer until Monday or Tuesday next week. Just curious, are offices open on Saturdays in Kenya? In particular, is ESS open on Saturdays?

I would hate to cut a day in Maasai Mara since everyone said it will be the highlight of the trip. And I agree with Lolazahra that since it is the one and only 3 day stay on my itinerary, it would be nice to keep it.

Pat
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM
sandi

Most (not all) outfitters are open half-day on Saturday. Booking offices though usually aren't.

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi, I won't expect an answer from Serah until sometime next week than. It is so hard to be patient...

Pat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -