canadian traveller to africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, looking for advice on booking a safari in Tanzania, am particularly looking for Canadians who have booked and if they have booked from a travel agent here in Canada or directly from tour companies in Tanzania? Also, is there anyone out there who has gone to Rwanda to see the Gorillas and who did you book through and how was the experience? (besides the amazement of it !! ) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, first time going to Africa and huge info to cover...probably going Aug, Sept. 2013, Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 01:13 AM

Hello from a fellow Canadian! Where are you in Canada? We usually book our African trips through Reservations Africa in Victoria.

http://reservationsafrica.com/

If, however, we are planning a self-drive safari, then we book through Safari Drive, the company we rent the 4x4 from.

http://www.safaridrive.com/index.htm

Regarding the gorillas - there are many threads on this forum - just search <i>Rwanda gorillas</i> and many trip reports, which will include the name of the operator, will come up. Robin
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 04:27 AM

We just got back from Tanzania. We spent 11 days on safari and cultural tours with Warrior Trails. It was a wonderful experience and Warrior Trails delivered in spades from the minute our feet hit the ground. The accommodations were perfect, we saw more animals than we could imagine, including the "Big 5". Our trip was customized from day 1 to include game drives, a visit to a school, a Masai village and Masai women creating beautiful beadwork. This was not a "canned" safari! I can't say enough about the skill and knowledge of our driver/guide, Jackson. We had the added opportunity to travel with Clamian, the owner. We came away with a much greater understanding of Tanzania, the people, culture and natural history. We also met another of their guides, Nicholas, who was knowledgeable, skilled and really fun to be with. I think that whichever guide takes you on safari, you will have a wonderful time. The vehicles are reliable and comfortable too.

An added bonus for North Americans is that they have a Canadian representative, Cathy. She can be contacted at [email protected]
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 05:47 PM

I booked directly with a tour company in Nairobi/ Arusha.

The price was $1,000.00 per person cheaper than my local tour company here that specializes in Africa Safaris.

We did a private tour...two of us, and it was that much less than joining with four other people....from anywhere else in the world.

I sent my Dentist to this fellow in Nairobi last August and he was totally pleased.

I found that price were better when you book with a local company, as they are right "where the action is."

When I arrived in Arusha Tanzania towards the end of my Safari.... I visited their office and had a drink with them.

You can contact:
Stanley Irungu
[email protected]

If you do e-mail Stanley, please say Hi to him for me as he does know me well
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM

Hi there and welcome!

I also used Warrior Trails and had Jackson for my guide in Tanzania last June and would definitely use them again. Yes do email Cathy.

Have a blast planning as it's half the fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone,I am in Ontario, and hard to find someone close to London so I will probable get quotes from a few companies I have found with good reviews and are listed in the African Tourism list. Have requested a quote from Warrior Trails (will see if I can talk with Cathy!) did you guys stay in tented camps or lodges with them? Does Stanley Irungu just do these safaris on his own? Thanks again everyone, still hoping to hear if anyone has gone to Rwanda to see the Gorillas...
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

one other thing has anyone been to Tanzania in August September, I see very little about this time of year, its like September doesn't exist in Tanzania? Thanks again, and your right KathyBC I am enjoying the research!!
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 06:03 PM

Yes I went in August and September.

I did a Trip Report when I came back as did canadian_robin.

You can click on our names and read the Trip Report.

I wanted to see the Migration over the Mara River....and I was lucky ,I SAW it ,just like you see on those TV Migration programmes.
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 06:54 PM

I believe Cathy from Warrior Trails is in Ottawa so at least you'll be in the same time zone!
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Back in September 2008, I went to Tanzania after the post-election violence in Kenya caused me to change locations. We had great game viewing in Tarangire and the Ngorongoro Crater. I didn't expect to see the Migration in the Serengeti, but the rains had started early and our camp in the northern Serengeti (Bologonja area) was surrounded by the Migration herds. You never know what the weather will do, now that the patterns are changing. Also, the Lemai Wedge in the northern Serengeti has resident herds of wildebeests. Biologists believe that a significant number of wildebeests never actually leave the Serengeti. You just need to book into camps up in that area.