Namibia in a hurry

May 30th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Namibia in a hurry

I am going to spend five days in Namibia this December. Are there any highlights or suggested "must sees"? I was thinking to fly into Windhoek and take a 4 Day Sossusvlei and Swakopmund trip. I want to do this on a backpacker's budget. Any suggested places to stay?
Jun 27th, 2005, 08:01 PM

Well you posted this a while ago, don't know if you will check back but I'll post my advise.

Windhoek itself is very nice to visit, a day or two spent there is worthwhile. Sossusvlei is an absolute must. For lodging you should check online with a Namibian travel agency (that's how I booked mine). You are going right in summer so you should make your reservations. There aren't a ton of choices around Sossusvlei. We stayed at a fancy lodge, not for you. Swakopmund has a ton of cheap lodging for backpackers, again check on the web. I think I went through namibiareservations.com (don't seem to have the emails any more).

How will you get around? 4 days really isn't enough. The drive to Sossusvlei from Windhoek is the whole day and another whole day to get to Swakop. There aren't many buses I don't think, maybe in the high season there are. The roads between these cities aren't paved and it is slow going. Gorgeous though. When we drove from Windhoek to Sossusvlei we saw exactly 12 cars the whole day, after we turned off onto the unpaved road. It was awesome.

Search this Thread