Morocco with a 8 & 5 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2016, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Morocco in 2017 with our two children who will be 8 and 5 at the time. We're flying from Canada and will have about 15 days for the trip, which could include a few days somewhere in spain or portugal - or elsewhere - if it proves convenient from a connecting flight perspective.

We'd specifically like to do a desert trip with camels and tents and spend time getting lost in Marrakesh or Fes (or maybe both). I like the idea of staying in a Riad too. I'm willing to trade days in a car getting to a specific part of the desert (unless you think it totally worth the drive) and go to someplace just outside a major city but in the countryside/desert.

We're also looking for suggestions regarding timing of the trip - March is good for us because of March Break here in Canada and the summer (july & august) is good because of summer break but I know it will be too hot in the Sahara then.

So suggestions on any of the following would be greatly appreciated:
- Time of year we should visit - March or Summer? Or should we really be planning outside one of these times for the best trip possible?
- Best way to travel around within the country - I'm thinking trains...
- Riads you'd recommend in Fez/Marrakesh that have good accompdations/chill out space and good food
- Tour company to use for our desert/camel experience
- Where you'd recommend we base ourselves - Fes or Marrakesh - or split time between both?
- Ideal connection location (spain, portugal) & airline recommendations from there to Morocco
- Anything in particular that I should account for given the ages of my children (they're great travellers and like almost every food so i'm not worried about anything in particular...)

Thank you very much!
Jen
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you lamiab. I think we will spend all of our time in Morroco. I will look into that tour company. Our March break is early March - do you think that's okay?
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 08:06 AM

Yes indeed!we are now early March and the weather is fine it is between 22 and 24 degrees.yes contact the company morocco your way.com I am sure they'll be very useful with convenient prices.
Old May 10th, 2016, 02:29 PM

We were there in early April 2015 , so March should also be a good time to go. In Fez, we stayed at Dar Seffarine, and I would highly recommend it. Our kids were 6 and 8 last year, and this is a very kid friendly place. The breakfast and dinners were awesome, and the owners are truly caring and will make your stay very very pleasant.
I would also recommend Cafe Clock for lunch as a safe bet.

In Marrakesh, we stayed at Les Jardins de l'Agdal. It is a also a very lovely hotel. We didn't do any desert trips, but had the concierge at both these places book a car and a guide for us to go around.

In Fez, we were able to go to the souks and navigate them on own after one trip with a guide. We did use the guide to help explain the historical sites and take us to the co-ops.
We also used taxis that are quite reliable and easy to use to move in both cities on our own.

The train ride from Fez to Marrakesh is 8 hours long, but is the best possible way to go between the 2 cities if you don't want to drive.