Notices

Namibia car rental

Jul 15th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Peep

Namibia car rental

Hello! We're going to Namibia for 2 weeks at the end of September and are going to drive btween Windhoek, Etosha, Damaraland, Swakopmund and Sossusvlei. We've reserved a 2WD (standard transmission with a/c). The big question is: should we pay 200 euros more for the 2 week rental to get super insurance coverage that has 0 deductible/deposit for theft, damage, etc? With insurance it's 36 euros a day; without it's 22. Without the super coverage there's a deposit of N$25,000. So I'm wondering if those of you who have driven there think there are enough risks to warrant dishing out 200 extra bucks or should we take the risk of having to pay over 2500 bucks in case of damage? Thanks for your opinions! I'm having a hard time deciding because I'd like to save some money...

Jul 15th, 2003, 05:51 AM
sandi

Hopefully Celia will see this post as she was recently in Namibia and did self-drive during her trip and I don't beleve she took the "super coverage". She found the blacktop roads in good conditions, as well as some of the gravel roads; and they had no problem on the self-drive thru Etosha.

We had been planning a trip for later this year, which unfortuately we had to postpone (hopefully next year) and I too was wondering about this. Though we were planning on renting an automatic (there is no way this American can drive standard, though my partner can - I felt it unfair to leave all the long distance driving to him along, and if I had to fill in on driving, there'd be nothing I could do with a standard.

The "super" coverage provides for no deposit on car but it does include emergency evacuation and medical should you be in an accident. We were still undecided on this.

See what other posters, and hopefully Celia, have to say.

Search this Thread