Search

Namibia ATMs and Internet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Namibia ATMs and Internet

I'll be in the northern half of Namibia next month and am not sure how best to deal with money. Are ATMs prevelant? Also, are there many places that tourists can use the internet?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Topping.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 04:59 PM

My info is dated--2002. But at that time, there weren't any ATMs that I could find, and even internet access was difficult, unless you used a friend's service. Now much could have happened since 2002...but I wouldn't count on ATMS, especially in the north. I hope someone has more up to date info...
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 05:05 PM

I was in Windhoek in August 2003 and there was at least one Internet cafe in the city center, but I expect there are more (after I found one, I stopped looking).

Take cash -- its a very safe country.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 03:36 AM

Just like to pick up on the remark " its a very safe country". Nam has a low density of crime, Nam has a low density of almost everything except sand.

If you don't see anyone except for other tourists and lodge owners that is fine. Some of the towns, well in truth one of the towns namely Swakop does target tourists as easy prey. Robbery in and around Swakop can be very in your face with knives or guns. Insurance may cover your loses but the trauma may be a bit more permanent.

People have also been hit at lonely beauty spots, picnic pull-ins and driving farm/lodge roads. The really violent crime tends to be sporadic it happens, there is a small crime wave, criminals get caught or killed and it dies away.

Yes it is pretty safe but the people have little and you have lots and human nature is what it is.