Namaqualand side-trip from Cape Town?

Old May 29th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Namaqualand side-trip from Cape Town?

Wondering whether a 1 or 2-day side trip from Cape Town in early October would be enough to see anything of the famous spring flowers. As we have only this limited time on this leg of our trip, we're clearly constrained how far north out of Cape Town we could get, and wouldn't want to drive more than 250km round trip - which will clearly preclude us from getting much beyond the West Coast NP. Any positive recommendations in this region (even not related to the flowers), or do we have to save for another time when we can get right up the coast to Springbok and beyond?
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM

Namaqualand in spring is simply a lifetime achievement. I do believe that October however may be a bit late. Although I would check this out for sure. We were there in August a few years back and the floral display was simply astounding, to say the least. But on the same trip, we were in West Coast NP and the flowers there were stunning as well. However when the sun dips or if there is cloud cover (which is often), then you may be out of luck too as the flowers close up tight. But when they are open, OH MY GOD! Take a peak about half way down this travelblog we posted:

http://cokesmithphototravel.com/Expe...rica_2009.html

Best wishes!

Coke
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:54 AM

Hi,

we'll be in Cape Town this August and I have booked Mariana Delport of Cape Eco-tours http://www.cape-ecotours.co.za/ for a day trip to the West Coast National Park for the wildflowers.

Our day trip will also include a high tea at the historic Royal Hotel in Riebeek http://www.royalinriebeek.com/, for a change of scene in this quite long day.

I've just read Cokesmith's comments and am hoping for fine weather!

Regards,

Pol
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Coke - thanks for the advice and the link to the amazing photos. The way our plans have developed, we will keep the option of going up to the West Coast National park and back as a day trip. We can decide when we get to Cape Town depending on weather and local advice.

Treepol - we're not really "tour" people, we always hire a car when in SA.
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:30 AM

Not quite related but if you should go to Hermanus look out for the King Protea farm at Kleinmond.