Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Nairobi Shopping Mall Attack (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/nairobi-shopping-mall-attack-992558/)

ekscrunchy Sep 21st, 2013 11:20 AM

Nairobi Shopping Mall Attack

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/wo...ooting.html?hp

Elizabeth_S Sep 21st, 2013 02:02 PM

It's awful - we drove past that mall when we were staying at the Holiday Inn in 2010.

KathBC Sep 21st, 2013 04:21 PM

My heart goes out to all Kenyans on this very sad day.

KTtravel Sep 21st, 2013 08:06 PM

Such a tragedy.

Leely2 Sep 21st, 2013 09:32 PM

Awful, awful.

crosscheck Sep 21st, 2013 11:21 PM

Horrible situation. Here's a Facebook report from travel writer Peter Greenberg, who happened to be in Nairobi at the Intercontinental Hotel:

--------

it is 9am here in nairobi, and it is a lockdown situation after the mall shooting/massacre on saturday. it was terrifying yesterday, as more than 39 people are known to have been killed at the westgate shopping mall, a popular mall for locals and westerners alike. it is a very large mall, with more than 80 stores and large grocery stores and banks. but that fatality figure is almost guaranteed to go up, because the gunmen are still inside the mall nearly 24 hours later with an untold number of hostages, as well as an untold number of victims. "we are just strategizing now," one official told me. what does that mean? the real translation is that the army and police don't have a plan yet. the reason: they don't know the exact location of the gunmen, the hostages, or any victims still alive. they also don't know the number of gunmen, or hostages...i'm at the intercontinental hotel, which is also in a lockdown situation, because we're located right next door to a now heavily fortified parliament building. no cars in or out. metal detectors erected in the lobby...more news from nairobi as it develops.

Gardyloo Sep 22nd, 2013 07:07 AM

Posted by a regular on Flyertalk -

<i>I can confirm they didn't ask our religion before they shot us.

Thanks for the PMs. I will go into surgery later today. Good prognosis. Wife still missing.</i>

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...ms-murder.html

Mathieu Sep 22nd, 2013 07:46 AM

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this horrific event. Luckily, our relatives and many friends (as far as we know of, and that we spoke to) are safe, but that does not take away from the tragedy, sadness and terrible loss of the situation. The death toll continues to rise and the situation is still unresolved with the attackers still holding hostages.
May it be resolved with full justice and no further loss of any life.

M

sandi Sep 22nd, 2013 08:11 AM

Absolutely terrifying, though somehow not surprising.
Soft targets are always that. And this Mall is supposed to have extra-security for entry of everyone, whether arriving by vehicle or on foot.

As Greenberg reports = the government does not know how many terrorists, hostages, wounded, etc... somehow reminds me of what happened in Mumbai, India a few years back. But Greenberg should know that the Intercontinental has always (as long as I recall... maybe since the '98 Embassy bombings) had metal detectors as do a number of other hotels.

Most surprising is that the US media is actually paying attention to international news, which has been reported all day Saturday and now again on Sunday.

Let's pray this ends soon with no further loss of civilian life.

Leely2 Sep 22nd, 2013 01:40 PM

Yes, sandi, scary and heartbreaking. I did think immediately that Westgate is heavily guarded but of course that's of little comfort now. Hoping our friends and acquaintances in Kenya are okay. So sad for everyone.

StCirq Sep 22nd, 2013 02:16 PM

I have been in that mall a few times and know and work with many people who live in the Westgate neighborhood and who shop there regularly. We've tried to get in touch with some of them, but thusfar have heard back from only one, who is safe. So far, 68 dead, 175 injured, 49 missing. Big explosions heard at the mall this morning.

And there was never heavy security at the mall when I was there. Maybe more than at a typical Nairobi mall/store because of the usual clientele (and possibly because it's owned by Israelis), but nothing that would strike you as particularly tight security.

Horrible situation.

LyndaS Sep 22nd, 2013 03:45 PM

For Leely & others that know him - I've heard from Kennedy & his family, they are all OK. Also have heard from Daniel, they are OK too. Both families told me they were glued to the TV though and in shock.

Kennedy took us there in May on the way out to Kiambethu as I needed to get Kenya shillings from the ATM. Our car was checked underneath with the mirror and I did see a security guard inside by the ATM, but that was it.

I hope this ends soon with no more loss of innocent lives, this is very sad.

Leely2 Sep 22nd, 2013 04:21 PM

Thanks, Lynda.

cary999 Sep 23rd, 2013 04:56 AM

"I can confirm they didn't ask our religion before they shot us."

"...they shot us." So, after they shot you you can still talk??

from -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-Muslims.html -

'If they found me, I'm white... so I'm dead': Survivors reveal how gunman executed non-Muslims - after asking them to name Prophet Mohammed's mother

Survivors said they saw fellow shoppers mercilessly executed after being singled out as non-Muslim
Shoppers said people were lined up and gunned down for failing to recite passages from the Koran

regards - tom

uhoh_busted Sep 23rd, 2013 07:55 AM

If indeed it is the terrorist group they suspect, they want to promote a religious war. Extremism is a good recruiter for those hungry for war.

God bless those who don't take the bait.

sandi Sep 23rd, 2013 02:46 PM

Thanks Lynda for update on Kennedy (his family) and Daniel.
We all hope the best for so many others that we don't know, but as concerned.

Have heard from all but one friend, so hopefully she's at her country home north of the city.

Though there is a large Muslim population throughout Kenya, as many that are observant, others are secular and do not cover, observe halal or have knowledge of any words from the Koran... so much for religion!!!

Serious subject, of course, but certain Bill Maher will have comments this coming Friday on HBO.

sandi Sep 24th, 2013 06:41 AM

Heard last evening that only 17% of the population of Kenya claim to be Muslim.

Gardyloo Sep 24th, 2013 06:51 AM

<i>Posted by a regular on Flyertalk -

I can confirm they didn't ask our religion before they shot us.

Thanks for the PMs. I will go into surgery later today. Good prognosis. Wife still missing. </i>

We learned overnight that his wife was among those killed.

geetika Sep 24th, 2013 07:41 AM

What a terrible tragedy, my heart goes out to all those innocent people! As someone who flies frequently to and via Nairobi I've been to that mall and shopped at Nakumatt several times, I also know people who live in that neighborhood. One can only hope and pray that this senseless violence will end soon...

Alltimesafaris Sep 25th, 2013 10:22 AM

Very Sad indeed, but Kenyans have come out very strong and united - best way to defeat evil !