Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Nairobi Shopping (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/nairobi-shopping-572215/)

travellin Nov 21st, 2005 02:11 PM

Nairobi Shopping

I thought I'd read a post on a shop in Nairobi that was popular for souvenir shopping. I thought some of the posters even said they found the prices more reasonable than those on the safari routes. I did a search but couldn't seem to find this post again. Can anyone help me out? Thanks! Lin

wjsonl Nov 21st, 2005 04:10 PM

Hi travellin,
We were in Nairobi last June and visited an arts and crafts center called Utamaduni. It is a collection of quite a few small shops having a nice selection of art work, carvings, jewelry, etc, and is located close to the Karen Blixen museum and the Giraffe Center.

Nyamera Nov 22nd, 2005 04:07 AM

Hi Travellin,

It must be this:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...een_name=lyban

sandi Nov 22nd, 2005 04:14 AM

Lin -

You're probably looking for the Collector's Den, located on the street level (believe it's Simba Street) of the Hilton Hotel in the central business district of Nairobi. All the guides know where this is or your hotel concierge can direct you by foot (depending on from where in relation to your hotel) or take a taxi to/from. The prices are good, a wide variety of items, pleasant staff. In the rear room they have more expensive items... many of which are unique jewelry pieces. They price in USD and accept credit cards which are billed in USD. It's possible they bill in Euro also, but since we've never needed this, can't be certain.

Utamanduni is located in the suburb of Karen where you will find a number of small shops under one roof... with a wide variety of items. The quality and prices of most may be higher than you'll find at Collector's Den... depends on what you plan to spend.

Nearby is Kazuri Beads (beads and pottery) made by local women's cooperative. So many great items, it can be difficult to make a decision. Their factory is next door and you can leisurely walk through, watch how items are made - each step in the process, from the small clay pieces, shaping, painting, firing in the kiln, the glazing, etc. - your questions are welcomed.

The two latter shops are in close proximity to one another and easy to visit should you also be stopping at the Karen Blixen Museum and Giraffe Center.

Of course, most hotels have sourvenir shops, with many of the same items, though prices tend to be more expensive (but not by much) than you'd find at the Collector's Den.

At souvenir stands along your safari route, prices can be ascompetitive as at the Collector's Den - some even less, but at this stops, be prepared to bargain for better prices.

So, there are many choices. But if you find something you like while on the road and the price is what you'd be willing to spend (and do consult with your guide who can advise if bargaining is appropriate) - buy it. You may not find some items elsewhere. We've shopped at all of the above and don't begrudge ourselves if we find a lower price elsewhere... it rarely amounts to more than a few dollars.

Hope this helps.

luckykat Nov 22nd, 2005 05:33 AM

Hi,

I can highly recommend:-

Blue Rhino in the Village shopping centre.
Banana Box
The Spinning Web

:)

travellin Nov 22nd, 2005 03:22 PM

Thanks!

We are not big shoppers but when we renovated our house this summer we left one wall empty.. just waiting for the perfect souvenir from Kenya! Will check out your suggestions.

travellin Nov 24th, 2005 07:32 AM

Thanks Nyamera!
That was exactly the post I was looking for!!
Lin

Nyamera Nov 25th, 2005 10:19 AM

I usually shop for souvenirs at City Market where I also buy passion fruit. I think I’ve paid 100 shillings a kilo. Though if you live in the USA I believe you’ll have problems in customs if you bring passion fruits. And maybe “souvenirs” isn’t the right word for something that doesn’t last.

Even though I’ve walked around a lot in Nairobi I’ve missed The Collector’s Den. I remembered the post because it might have had fatal consequences for me. As I’m having problems earning money to be able to return to East Africa, I ordered some goods from The Collectors Den that I’ll try to sell. I got a very good price – though shipping was expensive – and everything, except a broken tusk and a cracked spoon, arrived rapidly and in perfect condition. The problem is that I’m not exactly a businesswoman, but at least I’ve found a Christmas fair where I can sell.

Mathieu Nov 25th, 2005 01:11 PM

Nyamera, good luck with your business venture.

I brought back several 'kiondo' for my friends and they liked them so much that I had to order 2 dozen more and they were sold within a month. However I wasn't in it for the money; just wanted to accommodate people who wante to have these beautiful and colourful woven basket-bags. I've seen them being sold here in North America for more than 4 what I sold mine for.

Do you know whether shops like 'Kenya Bunduki', 'Gems and Jewels' and the art gallery on Kenyatta Avenue (I forget it's name but it was a very popular one) still exist in Nairobi ? All these places had wonderful African Art and Crafts (and antique items) for sale.
Travellin', you might want to look them up if they are still there.

A hundred shillings for a kilo of passion fruit ? (we used to call them 'matunda') Wow, things sure have become expensive in Kenya. We had lots of bushes in our garden (we lived near Karen) and would collect the fruit - the crinkled purple ones, not the larger yellow/egg shaped fruit, though we had those kind too - and squeeze them for their juice. An ice cold glass with 'nyama choma' !

Those were the days.

Nyamera Nov 25th, 2005 02:24 PM

Thanks, Mathieu.
There are so many shops and I don’t remember their names. There is a gallery called Watatu on, or near – the entrance is somewhere behind - Kenyatta Avenue. I’ve walked past it, but I’ve never entered.

At home I would get three passion fruits for 100 shillings, but I do remember that at City Market they were cheaper last year than this. And I suppose you don’t get the best price in the centre of Nairobi. The big ones were even more “expensive”. I wanted “normal looking” passion.

I haven’t got any kiondos (viondo). I’ve got lots of wooden animals and now I really wonder who is going to buy them. I have some kikoys and I’m able to sell them a lot cheaper than at this site http://www.kikoy.com/