Nairobi-Mombassa train

Jan 11th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Nairobi-Mombassa train

Does anyone have any knowledge about the Nairobi-Mombassa overnight train? I saw someone here said there was a review about it on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree, but I could not find anything there except that the train times might have changed. If anyone else has any experience, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks!
Jan 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Brief comment to the effect that it was good, here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34544336

I once saw a complimentary post about the train on the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum, but did not find it when I looked again just now. However, I did find another thread with quite a few, mixed comments:

Go to LP TT forum. Make sure you're in the Africa branch. Do a search for "mombasa and train." (The word "and" must be included.) One of the threads that comes up is entitled, "buses Nairobi-Mombasa???" That thread addresses the matter of the train as well.
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:07 AM

Got this by private email, but figured answering here was of greater use!
Hello,

I saw your posting that you were to go by train from Nairobi to Mombasa. I couldnt access the website you have mentioned but would be grateful if you could provide me some info of how it went.

What time does train leave nairobi and mombasa for the return?
Leaves both cities at around 7PM, arriving 13 hours later

Is it still only M W and Fridays?
It was as of late November, I don't live there, but no changes were mentioned

How much is the single/return Journey?
We paid about $30USD a person First class, one way.

Is there beds to sleep and meal provided?
In FC, we shared a private, 2 person cabin, with long, sofa like seat that converted to lower bunk bed with upper folding against the wall. Closet, sink in the room, 2 toilets in the car (serving something like 20-24 pax.
We've traveled by train, including overnight train, all over the world. This was neither the best sure the worst of our trips. There were problems with electricity in the cabins, and we ended up reading by flashlight for some of the night. The dining car was elegant, and felt like it had been frozen in time capsule from the 1950s. The food was delicious and plentiful, both at dinner and breakfast. Costs were included in the fare. The bed was comfortable, though "nothing to write home about".

We thoroughly enjoyed his trip, and I would recommend it without hesitation. We made friends with the dining companion , and in fact, he and his wife will be visiting us in New York from Kenya. During the hours of day light, the views from the car were wonderful. Every time we stop, we threw balloons out the window to the children gathered trackside. Compared to the hassles of air travel, this was a joy!
Any more info would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Jan 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info.
Steve, I leave two weeks from tomorrow, and when I return I will be sure to let you know what my experience was.

Search this Thread